What year(s) 4Runner bucket seats...

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
My years seats are amazing compared to my old tacoma ones. Check out an 01-02 sport or just about any year limited edition for some nice seats with lumbar support etc.
They are 100 times more comfortable than the tacoma ones and about 10 times less comfortable than some nice corbeaus.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Comfortable as they may be, which years of 4Runner seats fit or don't in the Tacoma? For that matter, do the 3rd gen seats happen to fit in a '89-'95 pickup? I have quickly wearing out aftermarket seats and need to start considering options, too. If 3rd gen 4Runner seat happen to bolt right into a Tacoma, I'd bet they would be close fits for my truck, too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only problem I can see is that as all 3rd gen-up 4Runners were 4 doors, they are unlikely to tilt forward. My extra-cab area is already difficult to get into, without tilt-forward seats, it would be much worse. Is there a solution for this?

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
I doubt the bracketry of the 84 4runners is swappable, but the drivers seats in the 84's have to be the one of the best stock seats for offroad. No there's not any lumbar this or heated that but the sides of the back rest as well as the bucket can be adjusted to conform to the driver all a long the ribs and hips or deadjusted to be more like a normal toyota bucket. Way ahead of the times, I was so impressed the first time I saw this.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I swapped the buckets from a '94 4Runner into my '85 pick-up, FWTW.

I had to drill one hole on the drivers seat front, next to the tranny tunnel. The other 3 lined up fine. Those seats were exceptional. The leather was hammered so I covered them, but the lateral and lumber support was really nice.

If there wasn't much difference between the '85 (1st gen) and '94 (2nd gen) mounts, it stands to reason that 3rd gen to 3rd gen or 3rd gen back to 2nd gen, should be an easy swap.

The seats in the '87 4Runner were perfect. Similar to what taco chaser mentions with the 84 seats. I would have been happy sitting in those everyday.

My personal favorite is of course, the T100 bucket sport seats. Yet they are very rare and I don't know if they would bolt right in a narrower Tacoma. But the seat does slide forward since there is no 3rd door on the T100 either. :(

sami

Explorer
The only problem I can see is that as all 3rd gen-up 4Runners were 4 doors, they are unlikely to tilt forward. My extra-cab area is already difficult to get into, without tilt-forward seats, it would be much worse. Is there a solution for this?

FWIW, my '99 4runner's front seats tilt forward just like any pickup truck would.

Honestly, the seats out of my '85 SR5 4Runner were more comfortable than the seats in my '99..

-Jason

kcowyo

ExPo Original
sami said:
Honestly, the seats out of my '85 SR5 4Runner were more comfortable than the seats in my '99.

:iagree:

I didn't like the seats in our '99 4Runner.

Here's a pic of the seats in the '87 Turbo 4Runner. They were exceptional and in surprising condition for being 21 years old -

T4R+007.jpg

sami

Explorer
kcowyo said:
:iagree:

I didn't like the seats in our '99 4Runner.

I had those same seats in my '85... I loved them! I could easily sit in them all day for days on end.. Great lumbar support.

-Jason

Clutch

<---Pass
I had Acura seats in my '93 regular cab. They almost bolted right up. Had to make one small spacer.

Now the quest to find grey 4Runner seats, a feat within itself. A cruise to the salvage yard is neaded.

Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior