Wheel Wells on the Tacoma

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
When did they switch the wheel wells on the Tacoma? They used to be nice and round. Now they are semi square in the back and sloped towards the front.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The 2005 Tacoma is the start of the new generation. It's a complete redesign, and is almost as large as the old Tundra.

Mark

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Yup, they did. I've got a friend who swears his new Taco has more interior space than his old Tundra.

The V6 is now a 4L vs a 3.4L, and the 5 speed auto was new as well. The new engine is great - tons of torque and HP over the old 3.4L. As far as wheelin' goes, the new sheet metal takes a while to get used to - sometimes I wonder if the designers ever even considered that a 4x4 might be used off highway...

The double cab actually has enough room for two adults in the back. It's still a bit cramped, but compared to the old double cab it's down right spacious.

Mark

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Let me live in Fantasy world here for a second..........

Maybe, just maybe, they increased the size of the Tacoma because they are gong to bring over the Hilux. And it will have diesel. And fully kitted. And have free overseas shipping for traveling in Africa. Ok, time to wake up.

It is too bad they made them so much bigger. That is what I liked about them. They seemed like they were the width of a Wrangler on in Truck form.

gearbox

Adventurer
My buddy's JK is just as big as my 2006 Taco! Only he's got solid axles, 35" mudders and a whole lot less overhang behind the wheels. His is perfect for him, but MINE is perfect for ME :sombrero:

Bergger

Explorer
There are many things I do like about the new trucks, the engine, tranny and now in 09 disc brakes all around. But I still would not trade my 03 double cab for one. I really like the size of it for off roading, the engine is bullet proof and I'm still more partial to the looks of the older style. As far as the back seat goes I'm 6'2" and can sit in the back of mine. The new ones have more width but with the thicker cushions on the back seat you actually have less leg room. Both are great trucks and if I were to buy new the Tacoma would be the truck I'd get.

DenCo40

Adventurer
Bergger said:
There are many things I do like about the new trucks, the engine, tranny and now in 09 disc brakes all around. But I still would not trade my 03 double cab for one. I really like the size of it for off roading, the engine is bullet proof and I'm still more partial to the looks of the older style. As far as the back seat goes I'm 6'2" and can sit in the back of mine. The new ones have more width but with the thicker cushions on the back seat you actually have less leg room. Both are great trucks and if I were to buy new the Tacoma would be the truck I'd get.

I agree, I bought my 03 two years ago even after driving some new ones. The new ones drive okay and all but they just don't appeal to me because of their size and look a little too much like a Chevy Colorado to me. I know they are still tacomas but I think I will wait for the next body style.....

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
gearbox said:
My buddy's JK is just as big as my 2006 Taco! Only he's got solid axles, 35" mudders and a whole lot less overhang behind the wheels. His is perfect for him, but MINE is perfect for ME :sombrero:

Sorry, I meant the 97-06 Wrangler. The new JK seem too big for me as well. That is why I love my LJ and did love the old Tacoma.

What was the last year for Metal bumpers on the Tacoma?

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Which car/truck maker out there hasn't increased the size of the vehicle during a redesign/restyling? New, smaller models get introduced, but for the most part existing models that are successful enough to endure until a redesign seem to come out bigger. Even Subaru has apparently fallen victim. It's the same debate as the one about living in a 1200 square foot bungalow from 1920, or a 2400 sq ft house from this century? Why do we as Americans need things to be bigger, or stated differently, why do people perceive that bigger is better?

Obviously that's not the general consensus of the Expo community, or off-roaders in general, but we seem to be the minority.

I, for one, love the fact that my 06 Tacoma can hold a full-sized Nalgene bottle in the front cupholder. That's a size increase I can support! :sombrero: :REOutArchery02:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman