Where do I start (Land Crusier guy considering Rover)

Jwestpro

Explorer
We did get the extended warranty which wasn't cheap but was much less than the difference in price for the more expensive LC. (We got a HSE LUX w/ vision assist, extended leather, ladder, rails, trailer package, etc. and it was still more than $10K less than the LC.).

While I agree with you on most points. I must right, as I've been using my lr3 for 8 years now having bought it new as well.

However, the point about cost comparison cannot be quite accurate, especially with the extended warranty which much ave been $5000-$7000 ? While a new 2015 LC msrp is $81-82k (USD) +/- a few dollars, they sell regularly for $71-$73k in any given year model over the past 3 years. Additionally, this price doesn't really change because there are no "options" order or not order. That's pretty much the price and you just choose betwen two interior color schemes and 6 or so paints. All combinations are widely available except for green.

Last few times I "built" online a new 2015 LR4, with everything except the DVD headrests, it was about $72,000. This is what I'd call an identical purchase price and I know that with the Land Rover, they are not advertising $10,000 off until end of year model. On top of that, we know that there is no sense in buying an extended warranty for the Land Cruiser....so, the LC can actually be bought for substantially LESS $ when comparing new purchases. With Land Rover, you may need to order if you want a certain mix of options and are therefor less likely to get much of a significant discount on price whereas the LC are just what they are, all ordered the same and so it's only a matter of finding a dealer willing to sell at $10k off, which is very common.

This is not to say you didn't do exactly the right thing for yourself, but the price comparison was inaccurate.

As for how you use the rear interior space, you should consider removing the center seat. It's very simple and would free up that little hole for feet while sitting on the flattened adjacent seat, or a safer place for your Pelican or Stormcase ? I think I've told you before that I have my ARB fridge mounted in that slot. The 40L fits perfectly. The one I have in there is the older blueish metal taller version but my newer 37L would fit too but not be as tall. As it is, the taller design is perfect as an armrest for anyone in the side seats or to sit on while putting on snow gear. Having the fridge there also keeps it from taking up so much space in the actual cargo area and it's no taller than the front center arm rest/lid.

danrhiggins

Good point about negotiating down the LC. I didn't try. The comparison was LC to LR at list and the list here for me was 81-82 as you point out. The cost of my LR w/ the extended warranty, was under 70K. So if I had found a street price for 71-73 it would have been much closer. They were selling for 80 here so I expected that I wouldn't be able to get much better - unless I waited to year end which I didn't want to do.

As for removing the center seat, I think I'll hold off on that. I'm constantly reconfiguring the interior for different purposes. So I'm trying to avoid anything permanent. For now. And so far I haven't needed a fridge.

zelatore

Explorer
FWIW, removal of the center 2nd row seat isn't permanent, just 4 bolts and you're done. I did the same on mine for a fridge and it works wonderfully. I made a simple plywood platform that bolts to the stock seat mounting points and then secured the fridge to it. I can swap back to the seat in about 10 minutes if I needed to for some reason.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'll echo the others on the seat; the bolts come out easy with the right torx and I re-used them for bolt plates to have a tie down for my ironman fridge-love that position in the truck since it allows for access by the passenger, divides the seating area, and faciliates access for the rear seats if they are up or the cargo area if it is used 'as normal'. The relative modularity of the LR3/LR4 has been a joy. Pics to follow soon in a build thread of mine.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman