Where to go for 9 days of vacation and not be rushed.

XJBANKER

Explorer
So here is a question. I have 9 days off work June 20th – June 28th. I live in Utah and I am ready to take the trailer out camping. I would like to go somewhere that I have never been before. We were planning on going to Yellowstone but a lot of the campsites up there are not open yet due to the snow levels. Yellowstone lake is actually still frozen over. I was thinking about going to Mt Rushmore about 9 hours away, but not sure what there is to do there. It will be My wife, Daughter who is almost 2 and myself. Any suggestions or ideas of what might be fun? Or any other suggestions? Our back up plan is hitting our Cabin in the Uinta Mountains for a day or so and taking the trailer to go explore where somewhere up there but snow is still too deep where I want to go alone.

Scott Brady

Founder
Given the dates, you will need to be in the high country. For that, I would recommend Ouray! An excellent adventure destination.

panzer

Observer
I will second the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton recommendation.
Still early for a couple of the trails to be open but most will be.
It can be as relaxed and self paced as you like. Lots of trip threads here and over on Mud about the SW Colorado area.

I was in Yellowstone the week before Memorial weekend. The road from Tower to Canyon over Dunraven Pass didn't open until Friday.Still a good bit of snow in that section but most of the rest of the park was clear. Yellowstone lake definitely still frozen over. Most of the areas were open and full of happy campers. According to the locals less snow this winter than in years past for what that is worth.

I wish I lived close enough to road trip for that. My trip was airplanes, hotels and the trusty Subaru rental car. (Work trip, don't ask)

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I been wanting to get to the Silverton Ouray Telluride area for ever. I hope to be able to next year. The new rig I'm building will have to be finished first. If your going alone you may want to look into getting a SPOT just in case.

panzer

Observer
Aug 02-07 ish

I will be there first week (maybe a little longer) of August.
2 built 80s and a gen 1.0 4Runner all pulling trailers and packing kids and dogs.
Starting out at Great Sand Dunes NP and working our way to O/S/T via Gunnison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan