Where to mount Roller fairlead

Eric S.

Adventurer
I'm about to start my front winch bumper build for my XJ. It probably doesn't matter much but is there an ideal height the roller fairlead should be mounted in relation the the winches spool?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Since the cable comes off the bottom of the winch spool. I put the opening for the fairlead down low to match.

dust devil

Observer
There may be a theoretical ideal relationship between fairlead opening and cable, but since the cable comes off the drum at varying distances from the drum axle, the relationship with the fairlead opening varies all the time anyway. I would say center the opening at half the height distance from empty to full drum and call it good. After all, a roller fairlead has rollers to help with the friction of off angle pulls. That's what it is there for.

Eric S.

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I didn't think it really mattered much but figured maybe there was a theoretical idea height. Guess I'll just leave the opening at the lower half of the winches spool.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input. I didn't think it really mattered much but figured maybe there was a theoretical idea height. Guess I'll just leave the opening at the lower half of the winches spool.
It matters. You want the opening closer to the bottom. If you ever decide to go with synthetic line and I sugest you do then it has to have a clear shot at the bottom of the drum or it puts too much strain on the line. This has caused line failers. Remember also that the bottom changes as the line spools out. So when the spool is full it should be at the very bottom of your opening. As you spool out the wraps move up thus moving the line towards the center of the opening.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
On my Ramsey RE10000 the center of the fairlead opening is 1.12" below the center line of the drum. That's the factory location.

michaelgroves

Explorer
It matters. You want the opening closer to the bottom. If you ever decide to go with synthetic line and I sugest you do then it has to have a clear shot at the bottom of the drum or it puts too much strain on the line. This has caused line failers.

I certainly don't disagree with your advice about the fairlead location, but I'm interested that you say it's more important for synthetic line to feed straight. Is this because the synthetic is more expensive, and therefore it's more important to be kind to it, or do you think that synthetic is more susceptible to damage if it goes through the fairlead at an angle, than steel cable is?

(I'd go along with the first, but not the second).

bluejeep

just a guy
also take into consideration your typical winching - do you have nearly all your line out? Or only a short amount? It's better to take more off the drum when winching, even if this means double lining thru a block back to your vehicle for anchor points that are close. So then adjust your rollers to center on where that line might be running thru it.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It didn't register when I gave you the distance before, but since you're making your own bumper be sure the opening in the bumper is more that large enough that the winch cable doesn't rub the edge of the steel when winching at maximum angles. This is especially important with synthetic rope, but important as well with wire rope.

Eric S.

Adventurer
Thanks for in input guys. I did end up placing the fairlead on the lower half of the winches spool. I drew it up in a cad program to make sure the opening in the plate was wide enough so the line would not contact it at full spool and empty spool. Here is the work in progress so far.

IMG_0198Medium.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman