Where to store a Hi-lift jack inside a vehicle?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for inspiration, advice, examples, sympathy, etc. on where I might store a 4 ft Hi-Lift jack inside a vehicle. My vehicle happens to be a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the 2 door one) but this is probably an issue for most SUVs.

On my older Jeep Wrangler TJ I just put the jack on the floor behind the front seats and strap it to the roll bar below the seat belts but the newer LJ has cup holders behind the center console which get in the way. (Who would have thunk it?)

The goals are:

1. Jack is securely mounted;
  2. Jack is easy to put in and remove;
  3. Jack doesn't get in the way of luggage, heads, knees, etc.;
  4. Mounts don't get in the way when the jack isn't there.

Help! :)

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Adventurer
In the TJ, I always liked it mounted across the rear wheel-wells. In postition it does hamper sliding things in and out of the tailgate though. Is there enough room to lay it lengthwise along the edge of the cargo area?

On the KJ, it fits perfectly under the rear seats. Its out of the way and easy to access (unless that door was somehow blocked).

later,
mike

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I don't know if you still have your rear seat in, but

I use Hi-Lifts 4XRAC mount and keep my 48" Hi-Lift, inside my '08 "unlimited" mounted on my recovery box which, I can open and close with the Hi-Lift still attached

PICT0203.jpg

Over the past 40 years I've always kept my Hi-Lifts INSIDE and Have never had a malfunction, because of rain/rust/dirt/mud-whatever

Checkitout

:costumed-smiley-007:wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

skitime

Observer
Here is my solution

I built brackets to store my Hi-Lift inside. This is a 48" jack. It mounts below the rear seat out wich is out of the way and still allows foot room for the rare rear seat passenger. This location keeps the jack secure, clean and handy. No tools needed to remove because of thumbscrews. It also used the existing seat bolt holes so no new hole were made that could leak.

DSC_0768-1.jpg

DSC_0764-1.jpg

DSC_0761-1.jpg

DSC_0765-1.jpg

DSC_0762-1.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wow, I wish I had the room in my rig to store it but I have the 60" model and it won't fit inside so I've been storing it outside on my 89's Garvin/Wilderness Trails Rack. For my Gen II, I'm not sure where I plan to mount it yet. Probably on the front bumper but I have to make room for a winch first.

I do take it off when not on a trip to minimize weather wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior