where to tie a strap on an impreza?

Robthebrit

Explorer
The wife skidded off the road today and ended up in a little ditch. There was no damage but the ditch was too big to simply drive out. I went down the road in the little mog to pull her out but at the front of an Impreza there is nothing to tie to. I searched and searched but ended up pulling her our backwards because there is a hook on the rear passenger side. This resulted in a much longer and more difficult pull but it was the only option. I didn't want to tie to something in the front and rip the car in half. The question is, what do you tie to at the front of an Impreza?

Rob

Abel Villesca

Explorer
If I recall correctly for non-STi models there is a recovery hook in the tire removal kit. On the front bumper cover there is a little plastic square that you can pop out and thread the hook into.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Same on a small Chevy car

Late one night my daughter's friend calls, she is stuck in snow on a seasonal road... of course I am up for a rescue run ; )

I drive down the road, spin around, and ready the tow straps.... but no hooks anywhere. We were forced to do it the boring way. Drove up and down a time or two to pack down the snow, dig and dig to get her out and push and push to get her on the "track" I made....

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
On the Impreza you need to remove the fog light bezel or cover (depending on model) from the passenger side which hides the attachment point for the tow eye hook. Screw in the eye hook which is included in the tool kit.

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
There should be a removable tow hook in the spare kit and a removable panle on the front bumper and probly the rear as well (as previously mentioned) If you cant find what you need find a soft strap and go around the lower A arms.If that is not an option take the same soft strap and run it through the spokes of the wheel(s) and lock the park brake and slowly skid it out.
Most of the vehicals i recover from ditchs and wrecks so i usually throw chains but they are unforgiving.:ylsmoke:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I know there was an eyelet on the rear of my '02 WRX (dr. side??). I can't remember for the life of me if there was one on the front. Over at NASIOC they can tell you. Some of those guys know that entire car by memory.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. There is a frame mounted eyelet on the passenger rear, thats the one I used and it worked great, it didn't take much pulling to get it out but it was a little difficult to keep it straight with a mog pulling at an angle, the back end just wanted to spin around, to pull straight I would have been in the ditch too. Fortunately the snow was really soft so no harm was done even if the car dragged in the snow. Pulling forwards would have been much easier.

I just looked in the tool kit and found the hook which screws in behind the panel. Next time she crashes into a ditch I'll be ready :)

That 421 unimog may be small but it will drag stuff out of ditches like its not even there!

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior