which bike?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
the CFO approved a capital expenditure to improve my 2 wheeled off-road transportation, but with-in reason... so I have been shopping the year end/holiday sales and have it down to 2 choices on sale in the $600 range. Specialized Rockhopper 29er, mech disc brakes and lower end components or Cannondale f4 with hydrolic discs and better SX-7 groupo, but a 26er... which is all I have ridden.

There seems to be a great knowledge base on here, so if you can help me decide I would appreciate it. A little about me/and my riding... long ago Sport class mtn bike racer, but not a smooth rider, really just plow through the terrain. Last 15 years, an ironman triathlete and road riding, only on the mtn bike when it snows. My knee went south 18 months ago and now I am gaining weight and need to ride more to lose it. (long post sorry)

tia

29er

Observer
I worked for a Cannondale retailer for about 8 years and I'm fairly biased about them in several ways, but... they are well-built (despite all the Crack-n-Fail jokes), but the geometry is wonky as hell on the lower-end to mid-range mtn bikes. Most likely due to the Headshok's design limitations.

So, odd-handling mtn bikes.

My 2nd beef: Headshoks need as much maintenance as any other suspension fork (about once a year, maybe a little more), but servicing them is a royal PITA. In fact, after servicing Headshoks myself for 4 years or so, I eventually reached the point where I would ONLY send them to C'dale for servicing. Just not worth the trouble.

And unlike other suspension forks, when a Headshok fails, they fail instantly and ruin the handling of your bike (whereas most suspension forks I've owned will start to weep fluid and slowly become less and less rideable).

I'll also say that I prefer mechanical discs over hydraulic. I've owned a few versions of both.

And the 29er thing... well you've heard it all, I'm sure. Suffice to say, I've known many people to go to 29" and be blown away... I've known nobody to go 29" and then go back to 26".

Always the best advice: go ride them both and buy the one that feels better.

Spenser

Adventurer
I am with 29er with regards to Cannondale Mountain bikes. Have one of their touring bikes that I would never part with, fits perfectly, comfortable, and tough as nails. Because of that, I picked up a Cannondale full suspension Scalpel, with a lefty. TRIED to ride it all summer but cannot make it fit, nor can I get comfortable on it, so it will be on Craig's list this spring. Ride the Cannondale, for an extended period of time, before you commit. I find their mountain bikes very "tall" in comparison to others, including my Fisher hardtail.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It's always hard to make recommendations over the web because the best way to buy a bike is to pick from what's available. That probably should include some sweet sale deals this time of year. If at all possible, I'd hunt for an 08 model as dern near everything badged as 09 will be much, much more expensive due to across the board price increases for 09.

And am I wrong, or does a Canny F4 come with a head shock at all?

As for the wheel size, I'm one of those who not only thought 26" wheels were fine, but I thought 29er wheels were a fad, goofy and not something I wanted a part of. Peer pressure (I truly respect my local mtb peers) put me on a 29er and I will never, ever, go back.

29er

Observer
I bought a 29er expecting to hate it. I was so sick of hearing about them. Now my feeling is that the bicycle industry was barking up a completely wrong tree for 20 years with the 26" wheel mtn bike. I think we simply had it wrong and never questioned it.

I think the F400s starting coming with Headshoks about 2003 or so, but I'm too lazy to google it. :oops:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think the Headshock design is well thought out, but poorly executed. My last C'dale was an F600 with a Headshock. After a while the "clunk, clunk" of the top out didn't seem noticeable. Still, not my cup of tea.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
still debating...

I am still debating it... we are real wet so they won't let me take them off-road... the 29er sits more upright than I am used to, but more troubling is the weight, just over 30 pounds, my 1993 Trek 930 with Quadra 21r fork weighs less. (barely) I also weighed the 09 Cannondale F4 29er and it was the same (add almost $350 more)
I felt bad, during me test of the 08 F4 26er, the chain sucked up and stuck between the seat stay and chain ring. It left a good scratch, but I didn't pedal it beyond the suck part... so wasn't my fault.

jatibb

Adventurer
my wife has a 29r stumpy and it is really a nice fairly light weight bike for the price. some cheaper drivetrain parts but whaddaya expect for the $$. headshok.... hahah. too much maint. not plush,specific to bike, and what if theres a problem and no dealer close by. it happens. stay with something normal,not flashy... if you are over 5'8" then a 29 is the way to go, escpecially if your not a real smooth rider. my 29r hardtail rides ALOT smoother than a 26r. theres my opinion....

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I have ridden a 29er for a season, now. After a week on my first 29er, I sold my 26er FS (Spec. FSRxc Comp). My first 29er was an aluminum frame. I have always ridden aluminum and thought steel wouldn't be that much different. Then I got a chance to jump into a steel framed 29er and don't miss the aluminum at all. I was skeptical at first, but the steel does feel very nice. I'd go for a steel framed machine.

If you're worried about weight, you can always forego the derailleur option and go singlespeed. :D I ride a Redline Monocog.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I got the 29er

well after going back and forth my wife made me buy the 29er... quote "just buy the bike" and kicked me out the door... I was out of town on biz so today was my first chance to ride it in dirt... after driving over to the off road trails, they were closed... so all I have ridden is rails to trails today.. not a test of a 29er.

Thanks for helping me decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman