Which Defender to Get?

Humvee4us

I'm torn on what Defender to get. I do plan on doing quite a bit of off-roading. I want to get the V8 Defender but it's about 2k lbs heavier than the P300 engine and loses that payload, payload is only a little more that 1k lbs. Additionally, the smallest wheels are 20" and there doesn't appear to be anything you can do to fit smaller wheels. Additionally, can you not get a roof rack on a V8? However, my primary concern is the weight of the vehicle since I've always been told the lighter the better. On things such as mud and gravel hills lighter vehicle many times don't need to engage their lockers, or even 4WD, where a very similar but significantly heavier vehicle struggled to get through even with 4WD and lockers. I could get the P400 engine, that gives decent acceleration and decent payload, but can only get 19" wheels. There are some aftermarket kits to fit 18" wheels but it appears to only be for one specific type of tires. Additionally, it's still a good 1k lbs over the base model and also loses that in payload, so it's still significantly heavier than other models. If I get the P300 model it's a pretty light vehicle, an advantage off-road I'd imagine, and you can get 18" wheels from the factory, but I'm wondering if for sand dunes, very muddy terrain, or loose rock inclines the P300 has enough power, or does it struggle with that small engine?

gabrielef

Get a P300 or P400 over the V8. Honestly, the P300 is perfect for offroad, I’ve been on some trails with a couple. They do great. Better capacity than my LR3/4’s too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Any vehicle manufacturer that fits anything over 17" wheels does not care about off road performance.
The more difficult the terrain, the less power you need or can use.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

JackW

Explorer
I went with the P300 and so did three other guys in our local Land Rover club. Its got plenty of power and lower gearing in the axles so it actually is better geared for off road work.
It also doesn't have the added complication of the MHEV system and comes with 18" wheels. Make sure you order the ATPC and locking diffs and the trailer towing package.
The P400 is nice but after three years of driving my P300 I have no regrets about buying the four cylinder - its a fantastic road car and very, very capable off road.
The stock Goodyear tires kind of suck - try to get the dealer to supply it with BFG AT KO2's - its much better with a set of 265/70R18 BFG's.
I've done every trail at Uwharrie on the stock tires except the big hill climb on Daniel (because of the fender eating V-ditch at the lower end - not interested in body damage).

_X0I3904.JPG

_X0I1160.JPG

Check out where Allen has been with his Defender 110 here: https://afterthelandroverexperience.com/ - he has done thousands of miles off road in his P300

1693620921090.jpeg

gabrielef

Any vehicle manufacturer that fits anything over 17" wheels does not care about off road performance.
The more difficult the terrain, the less power you need or can use.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

We’re talking about the new Defender here lol. For what the Defender is meant to do, the 18” wheels on the P300 are MORE than enough. You’re golden with 32” tires max. Not necessarily a Rubicon trail spec, but was that what the new Defender was meant to do? An emphatic “no.” Your statement is skewed as to what the definition of “Offroad performance” is.

JackW

Explorer
I know a bit about Land Rovers since I've owned twenty of them over the last 51 years. I bought my first Land Rover (an old Series II 88" wagon) in 1972. In addition to these three I'm restoring a 1967 SIIA 88" pickup.
The diesel powered D-90 is my choice for rugged trails but I've been very pleasantly surprised with the off road performance of the Discovery 5 and the new Defender.
The new Defender 110 is very capable on rough climbs - the traction control system just flat out works. I was shocked at how good the Discovery 5 was - the new Defender 110 is even better.
The 265/70R18 is 32.6" in diameter - I had to trim about 1/4" off the front mudflaps for clearance and it looks a lot better than the stock 255/70R18 that came on the car.
Right now every car in my driveway is powered by a four cylinder engine - car #5 is a Miata.

_MG_9914.JPG

Last edited:

Humvee4us

Thanks for your replies guys. I was leaning towards the P300 because it's a whole 1k lbs lighter and has 18" wheels, although I hear lucky 8 has an aftermarket solution to fit 18" wheels onto a P400 Defender. But then I was kind of undecided because the P400 has over 100 HP more than the P300 for highway cruising.
On the Defender, how advantageous off road is the 1k lbs lighter vehicle that you get by going with the P300 over the P400? Does the P300 have enough power for things like sand dunes or mud trails? And what if I plan on fitting 35s or 37s, would it feel underpowered then?
Someone mentioned that the P300 has lower axle gearing and it's true, 4.1 vs. 3.55 for the P400, but it also has a higher first gear, 4.71 vs. 5.5 for the P400, so it actually gives the P400 a small advantage over the P300 doesn't it? On that note, does anyone know the transfer case ratio for the Defenders?

Last edited:

gabrielef

There’s a narrow use case for 35”+ tires on Defenders. Even Land Rover Denver trailers theirs for long road trips. The modifications you have to do to get that large of a tire is a lot. But totally personal preference.

A good question to ask yourself, what do you plan to use the rig for 80%-90% of the time? Be cautious of modding for that 5%-10% of use.

If I were towing frequently, I’d get the P400 or better. Any cargo on the roof?

Humvee4us

There’s a narrow use case for 35”+ tires on Defenders. Even Land Rover Denver trailers theirs for long road trips. The modifications you have to do to get that large of a tire is a lot. But totally personal preference.

A good question to ask yourself, what do you plan to use the rig for 80%-90% of the time? Be cautious of modding for that 5%-10% of use.

If I were towing frequently, I’d get the P400 or better. Any cargo on the roof?

No cargo on the roof or towing.

gabrielef

No cargo on the roof or towing.

Man, P300 sounds like the ticket. Put M/T’s on it for mudding, 32”. If you need more for serious mud pits, then start modding. You’ll have plenty of power, so no need spending the extra $$$.

kiwiscott

All have their pros and cons ….

I’ve got a P300. The only thing I’d say about it is the the turbos in it take a little while to kick in as it uses the exhaust pressure (as do most turbos) to inject the extra air. The p300 is also less efficient than the p400 due to the hybrid recovery.

The p400 uses the electric turbo fan so it kicks in smoother (aparetnly). The downside is the 19-inch wheels or a swap of the brakes to get 18-inch wheels.

I haven’t done any off-road yet - just 5500 miles from NJ to Montana and back for a summer vacation where the car was amazing.

I’d really research the options you want. For me I didn’t get the adaptive cruise control, advanced towing, and the extra terrain control which I sorta wish I did get.

Raymac1963

I absolutely LOVE the new Defender. I have a Disco many years ago and it was a beast. I see a silver p400 in my future decked out to match my trailer.

bri

Adventurer
Most options possible. Most horse power possible.

The only option I would question on a newer LR is rear entertainment and rear AC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior