Who has gone from a teardrop style trailer to a trailer with RTT?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Getting ready to start a trailer build this next week. Started off wanting a RTT and then after doing some research I kinda set that idea aside and started looking into building a teardrop style trailer instead. So my one of my big reasons for deciding against the RTT trailer was cost of an RTT. To me I just can't see the value in a RTT when they are so crazy expensive. We use a 20x20 outfitter heavy canvas tent for hunting at it was less than $1k and even has a wood burning stove. I realize the RTT's are a whole different ballgame but the price has kinda turned me off. But also I have never seen one in person. Actually going to go check out a dealer in SoCal that sells CVT tents that supposedly has some on display. Maybe that will change my mind.

So I started looking around on the expedition trailer forum and saw a ton of teardrop style trailers. I like the fact that they are hard side and would definitely be better in the winter but at 6'5 and 260 but still very agile not sure how crawling in and out of one would be. And from what I read with my size I'd be looking at a trailer that's 14-16ft from end to end including tongue length. Also I wonder about how they would do off road on the trails. We are building a 03 Jeep Cherokee as an Overland Expedidition type vehicle and will be pulling something behind it. Either a trailer with RTT on top or a teardrop style trailer. We want to take our Jeep and trailer on the Back Country Discovery Routes that can have challenging portions at times. Not sure how the longer teardrop would do.

Hoping maybe there are some on here that have come from a teardrop or maybe even went back to a teardrop that can give me some feedback on what they liked better.

silvrzuki77

explorer
My teardrop was roughly around the 14'-16' range from hitch back. I pulled mine all over Death Valley, through echo canyon, Steele pass, and up Lippencot road. If you build it right it will handle just about any road you through at it. Make sure you have a spotter and pick good lines!!!! On point we used my high lift to slide the camper over a foot to make a turn. I think long run being in a teardrop is more comfortable. Specially when it is windy out.

Regardless either way is not cheap! Specially if you go the teardrop route. Materials add up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12