Who likes CDVs?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Okay, we've had a couple of threads on the Citroen 2cv, with many Americans wondering "what is that thing?"

Of course, the 2cv is a car, but like many European cars, it is also available as a curious type of vehicle we've never really had in the US: The Car Derived Van, or CDV.

Here's a nice line drawing of a newer CDV with a window:

line_car_derived_van.gif

A CDV is basically a modern version of the "sedan delivery" type of vehicle that disappeared from the US market around 1961-62, which was about the time the first small vans appeared.

I first saw CDVs in Germany in the 1980s and thought they might make fun little vehicles. The van interiors are generally larger than an equivalent US minivan or station wagon and usually have completely flat floors that would make for a good sleeping platform. They're based on cars, of course, which means that they aren't good on extremely rugged roads, but for someone who mainly traveled on improved dirt or paved roads, it could be a perfect vehicle.

Some of the CDVs I saw in Europe had windows in the side panels, and removable bench seats in the back. I frequently saw them being used as family vehicles.

I think I've even seen a couple of CDVs that were 4x4s, although they were pretty rare.

I think something like a Subaru Outback-based CDV would make an awesome lightweight exploration vehicle!

M.Bas

Adventurer
We have loads of those "CDV's" here in europe.
VW, Ford, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault and I'm probalby forgetting some manufacturers.

VW Caddy:
caddy%20464x228.jpg

Ford Transit Connect:
getImage.asp

Peugeot Bipper:
1794c4daf9331a2e078fec3c13c493b1.png

Peugeot Partner:
44bba5d9f6c991aa55f9d5de4c19d381.png

Citroen Berlingo
berlingo_modelpag_2009.jpg

Citroen Nemo:
visual_modelpagina_434x282.jpg

Renault Kangoo:
L326SW0055.jpg

The names are the names they have here in the Netherlands, they could be different in other counties.

I believe there was a Kangoo 4x4, but they have an "onroad 4x4" drivetrain. Better for dirt roads/snowy weather than the normal FWD versions. So no serious offroading ;)

A French company named Dangel makes 4x4 conversions for the Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partner. These Dangels are available with 4Lo, rear LSD, rear diff lock.
But again, not for hardcore offroading, but better then FWD.
Picture of an Dangel converted Citroen Berlingo:
IMGP4179_GD.JPG

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Renault Kangoo:
L326SW0055.jpg

I really like the Kangoo,
We spent six days touring Corsica in one, it was a rental and would go wherever we wanted to go including the places we probably shouldn't have gone! :snorkel:

M.Bas

Adventurer
I think the Kangoo is horrible, the only braking those things seem to know is an emergency stop :yikes:

haven

Expedition Leader
And let's not forget the Fiat Panda Cross 4x4,
shown here as modified to compete in the
2007 Dakar Rally

FiatPandaCrossDakar.jpg

I'm hoping that Ford will develop a 4x4 system
for the Transit Connect van, which is due to begin
USA sales shortly.

Chip Haven

M.Bas

Adventurer
The Panda is just a small hatchback with a higher roof :p
The space is the back is max. 855L where the long wheelbase Transit has 3.7m^3 (swb = 2.8).

edit:
Just checked the interior dimensions, you should be able to fit a full size 2person bed in the back of the lwb Transit :D
1986mm x 1492mm (above wheelarches)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior