Why an M416? Why not homebuilt?

njtaco

Explorer
Not trying to stir the pot here, but there are so many impressive rebuilds of the M416/M101CDN/M100 trailers kicking around, I can't help but ask...

WHY start with a classic military trailer, just to cut it up, repair the tub, and replace just about everything else? It seems (maybe only to me) that coupler to tailgate (if it had one at all), tires to top (lid, rack, etc.) all seems to get fabricated, replaced, or at least significantly modified before pressed into offroad camping service. (Trying to refrain from overusing "ExPo")

Don't get me wrong...I realize these trailers work great in stock form for most people. I see the "point" in a classic, eye-catching piece of military history. But the ExPo and Mud crowds seem to love the grinder/torch/welder mods.

Would it not be more efficient to start from scratch with a home-fab or pre-fab tub, and build from there? Spending $400-$900 for a M416 and just use the tub seems high to me...

Someone convince me? :coffeedrink:

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Well, you make a good point. I used an M-416 for my trailer build as a base to get me started. At the beginning it made sense to me to modify it slightly and use it as a camping trailer because how well built and sturdy they are. Over that last two years the trailer kept evolving into something more as it turned more into a hobby of mine. All that remains that is stock on my trailer is a portion of the frame, two leaf springs, and a portion of the tub. In hindsight I should have just started from scratch, but when I started I did not think I would put that much time and money into it.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Atleast here, it's a royal PIA to get a title on homebuilt trailers. It's easier to buy one and mod it. A title around here is worth 150-200.00 no matter how bad the trailer is. As for mil trailers IMHO I'd ditch the frame on everyone of them, put some plywood on them and sell them without the title as a farm trailer. It's easier for me to build a custom frame and have it right the first time, rather than redesign a 40 year old fossil.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I was wondering the same thing myself. I assumed it was because people thought it would be easier to fix something than scratch build, but find out that wasn't the case. Then you have those of us who scratch build thinking it'll be cheaper than buying, only to find out that isn't the case. :(

:D

I feel bad for you guys who have trouble registering trailers. I have a plate on mine, and it isn't even finished yet. I only had to tell them how many axles it had, guess at the weight, and tell them the colour, $20 later, lifetime registration on my trailer.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I've been seriously considering building a M416 style basic trailer in a production format (to evaluate cost) for quite some time and possibly bring it to market if there is a demand. I could use one and like yourself I see the costs of a rebuilding an old 416 meeting or exceeding a brand new unit. I think it could be done in the $2500-$30000 CDN range, base would be a steel tube frame, aluminum tub, and 3500 lb axle. A 416 definitely is a cool old trailer that has that wierd nostalgic appeal which I do like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior