why not many new Chevs or GMC full size trucks?

I do agree with the low hanging items, early def tank placement for the Dmax units was probably the DUMBEST thing I’ve ever seen on a truck. And if you’re going to use your truck for extreme duty offroad work like b-bob described then you’re better off with a solid axle up front. But that being said, a Chevy HD like the one you bought should do just fine for the vast majority of what you want to do. Yes, I’ve already replaced upper ball joints and Kryptonite tie rods are on the to-do list, but I also had issues with my Dodge Ram Gen2 solid axle. Larger tires and a slight lift had me chasing steering issues and buying longer LCAs (never completely solved the issues) and for those GM electric front axle actuator haters...the vacuum controlled CAD on the Dodge caused me grief more than once. And my ‘02 Chevy is tons more comfortable than my Dodge but then again, I haven’t driven newer model Fords or Rams. Do you like driving the truck? Does it do most of what you want it to do? Keep it mild, not wild, and just enjoy it. You didn’t buy the wrong truck.

gtbensley

Explorer
We see far more rams and fords needing front axle bits replaced then GM isf at work. People think that a solid front axle has so many less parts to wear out but that's just not true (well sorta is if you take two sides into account). The ISF seem to hold up longer in normal every day driving. Lots of ball joints on the rams getting replaced and others on ford's.

Honestly I think they are all in the same league as far as longevity. Having said that, ISF is not going to work great off road, and is not as easy to lift.....and dirt roads are not off road. I think many people think they take their 1 ton trucks off roading but reality is a rough dirt road at best.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
Part of the reason I was excited to get a 3/4 was for a solid axle. They have downsides but they are more comfy in rocky terrain. Personal preference.

The GM trucks are good but it wasn't what I wanted. If the your truck is doing what you want it to then you didn't buy the wrong truck.

My uncle farms 1900 acres. He has a fully loaded 18' GMC 3500 duramax with over 200k on it. It's a work truck that sees a ton of dirt roads and pulls heavy loads. Aside from a few def related issues it's been a solid truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan