why not use rv 2 way refrigerator in trailer?

dado5

I have a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer that i am outfitting for a cross country trip we are making this summer. Not a full expedition camper but mainly for storage. I am putting a battery bank (2 group 31 agm) and 200 watts of solar on roof to power fridge and lights etc...

I was going to get a large 12 volt fridge but for about the same price looks like i can get an rv fridge with twice the capacity (3 vs 6 cu. ft.) I would have to power it with lp gas and I think the biggest drawback would be I would have to cut out the side of the trailer for the vent/access panel, but other than that am I missing something? Anyone know how long one of those will run on a 20lb LP tank? I would have to keep it running on LP even while driving, which I dont think is recommended but I know a lot of people do that in their rv as well.

Depending on which fridge you get, you'll have to cut a hole in the side right above the access panel or in the roof to install an exhaust vent. You will need a constant 12v to the fridge even when on LP. This is needed to run the circuit board. If you're going to let the fridge on while towing, make sure the trailer is somewhat level. If it is not, the circuit board will lock itself out and turn off the fridge. It's a safety mode. If it goes into it's safety mode, you'll be needing someone to come unlock the board. I'm not sure how long the fridge would run on a 20lb bottle though.

Sent from my WJ

ottsville

Observer
I don't know the volume of the fridge in my Rpod, but it will run for about a month on one 20lb tank. I run mine on propane all the time unless I am on shore power as 12v drops the single battery in less then a day.

My understanding of ammonia based systems is that it is very important to level the fridge when stationary to keep the flow of ammonia working properly or the ammonia begins to crystallize. However, towing provides enough agitation to maintain the flow of ammonia, so leveling while towing is not important.

dreadlocks

my big ARB fridge uses less than 2A and its very intermittent once contents are cooled, a 100w solar panel will run it pretty much indefinitely if you pre-chill it off AC power, and no worries about it ever being level.. They also dont loose all the cold air when opening a chest from the top so they are more efficient if your in em frequently.

It also cools like a champ, it has absolutely no problems making our beer nice and frosty.. even if its 130 degrees inside the trailer roaring down the freeway.. The propane fridge in my parents camper growing up never seemed to get anywhere near as cold.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
We have camper with a three-way fridge. It's a PITA. Have to start it up a few days before you leave, make sure it is on 120v. Get the temp right. Check it every couple of hours. Get ready to leave, switch it to 12 volts. Get to camp, switch it to propane. Cheese is too warm during the day. Veggies freeze at night. PITA. :)

I prefer a 12 volt National Luna combined with a battery bank & solar. With the batteries and solar wattage you described I wouldn't even consider an RV fridge. Just me though.

We just bought a 5x10 enclosed cargo trailer for the exact same purpose and have a very similar setup planned. We went with an ARB 50 with the plan to buy a second a little later once we figure out what size we need. The idea is we can run one as a freezer or shut it down depending on our current needs. The ARB draws nothing once down to temp. With two 130w panels and two 100ah batteries we should be able to run forever. While the ARB is one of the most expensive options it is very functional, rugged and portable. We think it is worth it. The fact that we can move it from trailer to other vehicle depending on our current adventure is gold.

Matt

Last edited:

MrOffshore

Observer
I would recommend one of the 12V/120V portable chests (ARB or Dometic). They are both great brands, I like the Dometic because it has a Bluetooth app (certain models) that allows you to monitor the temperature, make changes, set alarms for preset high temps and it warns you if the door is ajar...it also has an exterior USB. Like mentioned above, it will freeze popsicles in Death Valley if you want because it has a compressor. They are VERY efficient and portable...once you mount a typical RV fridge in your trailer, that's where it's staying.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes 12V compressor fridges are very effective and efficient. Just expensive per liter capacity.

If your electrical inputs are very limited and

you need the larger size, and

don't need rock-hard ice cream in Death Valley, and

don't mind carting an extra LPG bottle

Then there is nothing wrong with going with a propane fridge.

Just never use the electric side unless off dino juice or grid power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman