Wi-Fi

freightdog

Observer
durango_60 said:
You'll find plenty of free connections in Durango, if all else fails feel free to come park in front of my house! :ylsmoke:

Thanks Durango - I'll call your cell before I park out front...

Attachments

• St George Ut III 013.jpg
    St George Ut III 013.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 1

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hi everyone - we also are now totally un-wired with WI-FI.

Goodtimes - the reason you can't send email on your POP client software is because you would need to set up an account using the network's send address - sometimes you can figure it out. If your computer can tell you what the network is (for example, at Ike's coffee shops in Tucson - free WI-FI - they use Comcast as their service provider) you can use a "reverse DNS lookup" service on the web and then usually guess what their send-mail address is and set up an account to use for sending mail on that account. I just tried a few different versions of 'mail.comcast.com' etc until one worked. Sometimes you can ask and they'll tell you but often the staff are not aware.

For finding hotspots, for those of you poor folks who still haven't been enlightened enough to buy Macs ;) , you can download programs that "sniff" out nearby hotspots, or buy little devices that do it so you don't have to fire up the laptop.

I was wondering if anyone out there has used cell access to the web using the laptop out in the boonies (when you can find a tower)? My brother said it was cheap to buy a cable for his Verizon-Motorola phone, and at night or weekends he can access the web free when he's on the road. i haven't done it yet....

And anyone happening by the far end of the Sierrita Mountains in the lovely Altar Valley, Arizona, can use our network!

Roseann

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
quote: or those of you poor folks who still haven't been enlightened enough to buy Macs

Ah another mac user... my peeps :D
------------------------
quote: And anyone happening by the far end of the Sierrita Mountains in the lovely Altar Valley, Arizona, can use our network!

might have to happen by some time - please leave it on even if you are out on Safari ;)

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
might have to happen by some time - please leave it on even if you are out on Safari ;)[/QUOTE said:
You can join the coyotes & ravens :p . I think they have good parties here when we're gone.

[When I set up the Airport Extreme network, the guy from Tucson's mac store warned me to be sure to set up security - I told him we didn't have any neighbors and the only traffic on the state road was smugglers, hunters or ATVers. He could not comprehend no neighbors: "How can you stand it - being so isolated?" My reply was "How can you stand HAVING neighbors?"]

dieck

Adventurer
mountainpete said:
Mobile Wi-Fi is surprisingly easy. First, I'm not an advocate of hopping on someones unsecured connection. It's stupid of them to leave it unsecured, but I personally don't feel it's right to "use" their connection because it's there... but that's just me :shakin: If you pay for the connection, you know it will work and you can often get plans from major providers that will allow you to use a national chain of hotspots.

Now to the fun stuff... Most modern cities are covered with hotspots and the range is usually about 300 + feet from the transmitter. That isn't the best range if you want to stay in your truck. You can go out and buy a stonger antenna, but it's more fun to build one yourself. There are some really cool home brew antennas for Wi-Fi and some actually work really, really well.

Here are two of my favorite cheap homebrew antennas:

Chinese Cookware antenna
Tin Can Antenna (Cantenna for short)

Pete

I'm a network geek and an amature HAM. you can get a 9 DB omni antenna and mount it externally to get wifi and ranges up to half a mile or more. You can get much higher range out of 2.4ghz out of a directional antenna but difficult to operate while driving without a gymbal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998