wide angle small digital camera?

azskyrider

Observer
I am in the market for a digital camera that I can use for travel without people knowing I am a visitor. My brother has the Casio EZ-750 and it's very nice. He doesn't recommend it though, I think he said it is because it uses a cradle charger and few other nit picks that I can't see it. He does recommend the Powershot.

I would appreciate any recommendations from anyone as I have seen some amazing pictures on this forum.

I would like:
1.Thin and small as possible to fit in my pocket.
2. 5 + meg
3.wide angle capability to take pictures of a group of friends with out having to take body shots
4.Good low light picture capture
5. Not sure which memory type would be best. SD card, Flash etc.. Any advice?
6. I want to limit my purchase price to $700-$1000
Thanks,

Edit:
6. I am looking to spend a max of $700, possibly a $1000k if necessary.

Last edited:

Darren

Adventurer
You won't have a problem staying within that budget. I'm not sure if any point-and-shoot exceeds that price.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sony DSC-T9. Very thin, great picture quality, but its widest length is only a 38mm equivalent.

I recently upgraded from a 4 MP Powershot to the 8 MP one in the S80. It's definitely bulkier than the T9 or similar sized cameras, but it is 28mm on the wide end which is great, and I have heard this to be rare amongst point-and-shoots. The startup is also VERY quick. Really, the only negative it has is lack of a raw capture mode, which, for me, isn't an issue in this camera format. Your needs may vary.

No card format is necessarily better than another. Pick the camera based on the specs you want and let the memory cards they use fall where they may.

Low light performance is generally talked about in regards to video cameras, not still cameras, so I'm not sure what to make of this criteria.

Scott Brady

Founder
My recommendation:

Great lens, wide display and very stealthy.

http://www.leica-camera.com/digitalekameras/c-lux1/index_e.html

1.gif

LEICA C-LUX 1

Elegance that’s more than skin deep

The LEICA C-LUX 1 is an engagingly attractive companion with a fashionably compact form factor. Offered in smart black or lustrous silver and having a basic outline of only 5 x 10 cm, it’s a camera you’ll want to take with you wherever you go. And its elegant exterior is complemented by cutting-edge technology: 6-megapixel capture, ultra short shutter delay, precise autofocus measurement, and a generous selection of scene modes make it ideal for taking great pictures effortlessly. Whether you’re on the beach, on a stroll through narrow streets, or in your favorite restaurant – the C-Lux 1 will capture all those precious moments you want to remember in stunning, true-to-life color and detail.

The LEICA C-LUX 1 at a glance
High-quality fabrication:
Elegant and robust metal body available in black or silver finish.
(Notice: The silver finish isn't available in all countries.)

Leica lens:
The extended focal length range of the Leica wide-to-telephoto zoom lens is equivalent to a 28-102 mm in the 35 mm format, suitable for interiors, portaits, scenics, and more.

Optical image stabilizer:
Exquisitely sharp photos even in candlelight or of moving objects thanks to the built-in optical image stabilizer and the high-sensitivity setting of up to ISO 1600.

Display:
High resolution 2.5-inch display provides a clear view of critical details.

azskyrider

Observer
Thanks

I edited my original response. Thanks everyone for your time in helping me.

I have a few more questions. How much memory do you all recommend that is ideal considering that a computer is not available? Is there an online web site that you all trust and recommend for online ordering?

Thanks,

azskyrider

Observer
Panasonic DMC-FX01 rebadge?

"Leica has announced the new C-LUX 1, its rebadged version of the 6-megapixel Panasonic DMC-FX01."
- DP Review

Is Leica and Panasonic the same company? Are they really the same? Rebadge? Is there any reason to go one or the other company if the camera is the same?

Thanks,

azskyrider

Observer
F30, Fx01,s80,r4

All great recommendations. It has been a long time since I reviewed or used a digicam. I had no idea how much more options are out there today. My wife would like Ultra compact.

Cshontz/Darren, thanks. What are your thoughts on size if you were to carry it around all day in your pants pocket and how about from your significant other female perspective? How does it handle the low light pictures? Movie and sound quality? What other ultra compact cameras did you consider?

These are what I have it boiled down and each time I review the forums on these I find myself toggling back and forth. My wife and I are going to look at some today. If any one has any experience on these models then I would really appreciate the advice.

F30: Great low light pictures. Most owners complain about the XD cards. Not as versatile and slower performance to the SD cards. Most owners wonder why Fuji are still using them. Still a great camera and I am trying to keep in mind Darren's advice on the media type.

FX01/C-lux 1: Scott, Thanks for the heads up. This is high on my list and an all round great camera. Wide angle, great battery life, and ultra compact.FX-01 is $200 cheaper but comes with the 16MB instead of the 64MB sd Card. C-lux 1 has adobe bundled which to some C-lux 1 say is worth it. The TZ1 has me interested with the 10X optical zoom at the sacrifice of 28mm and a bit bigger in size. The TZ1 would make for a good compact all around camera for animal spotting.

S80: seems like the best of the bunch giving the LX1 a run for its money but lacks image stabilization. I haven't done enough research but anyone find a problem with night time scenery shots or shots in low light rooms like bars or restaurants?

R4: Yes, this was it! Ultra compact, 7.1X optical zoom, good low light pictures and 28mm (wide angle) capability. Owners are complaining of serious binding in the photos and there is a lack of availability in the USA. Supposedly only 1 website is available to the USA for purchases. This makes the potential buyer to purchase with out trying the product first. The operation of the camera is very noise (not picture quality) making it very prone to drawing attention in places where it is not wanted I.E. theatre, Churches, hunting. I wish I could judge for myself but again there is only a web site to order from. I was going to take a chance and live with the noise but the comments of the picture binding (very noticeable lines) from owners, lack of availability to the USA market and poor movie quality (not VGA) has drawn me back to the search.

So, I have expanded my wish list to : wide angle, 7.1x+ optical zoom, VGA movie, and low light capture ability all rolled in a nice Ultra compact digital Camera that my wife and I can easily carry around with out drawing any attention that we are carrying a camera (prevent theft or noticing that we are foreigners). I haven't found one that fit the bill (R4 came close) so I might have to consider sacrificing optical zoom and consider a DSLR for those long distant shots. Oridinarily I would wait since it looks like that DC are being revised every 6 months but July I leave for a trip and I would like to take some pics.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and time. I know you all have better things to do than to help me decide over minute details.

Last edited:

azskyrider

Observer
I ended up deciding on the DMC-FX01 from Panasonic which is basically the same as the Leica. The camera is small, light and fits pretty comfortably in a pocket. Overall I am pretty happy with it. It's strong points are:
1. light and small. Will fit in your front shirt pocket. Great for women to carry in their purses. My wife likes it.
2. easy to use default functions. i.e. star light, sports, underwater, flowers (for very close up pictures)
3. great day light pictures
4. good movies
5. well built with a rough texture to allow you to hold the small camera firmly.
6. Color is extremely accurate.
7. settings for 4x6 prints, email, and panorama.
8. Panorama came in great for those close up shots that required a very tall object.
9. image stabilization
Some minor gripes are:
1. when recording in video mode you can no longer change the zoom.
2. A 2 gig SD card is about the max the camera can handle due to software limitations.
3. very minimal manual settings which makes it pretty hard to take that great shot when conditions are not at its best.
4. You can not delete video from the camera settings but you can delete pictures and video picture thumbnails. This makes it hard when you accidentally fill up your SD card with videos and you need to make room for more pictures. You are basically SOL unless your SD card has a USB built in and a computer is near by. I got my money's worth on this little function at a wedding.
5. Zoom levels are pretty good at 3X but if you move to a lower mega pixel setting then you can squeeze 5X. Still not enough as sometimes I wish I had more zoom.

I think this is a really good camera/ video for those people wanting to have a quick portable small camera. If you use those disposible ones frequently then this would be a good very easy to use and carry camera. I found it great to take along at dinners, lunches, or in areas where you do not want to be noticed as having something of value. You can carry it very comfortably and no one will know you are a tourist.:D

If you are interested in taking long distance, low light, or have the use of manual settings then this camera is not recommended. I have not used a digital camera for years so this easy to use camera was great for me and took great pictures with out any fuss.

The DMC-FX01 is the same as the more expensive Leica. The Leica does come bundled with better computer software for picture cropping and touch ups after you have downloaded the pictures to your computer. I think it would be worth paying the extra money if you do not already have computer software for this.

My only recommendation for any type of SD card camera is to spend a little extra and get the USB built SD card. This is a great function that will allow you to pop the SD card, fold it in half and plug it into a USB port for picture download and viewing. Its all in one. I carried a 1 gig thumbdrive/memory stick so when I went to an internet coffee shop I would just copy the data from the SD card to the thumdrive/memory stick and this would free me up some space on the SD card. I also used it to copy the pictures to the thumbdrive/memory stick as backup.

You can buy a USB reader for an SD card but that would mean one more thing to carry around with you.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

azskyrider

Observer
picture samples

Here are some picture samples from the camera.

Attachments

• P1000029.JPG
    P1000029.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P1000100.JPG
    P1000100.JPG
    720.4 KB · Views: 30

+ d

Adventurer
azskyrider said:
...get the USB built SD card. This is a great function that will allow you to pop the SD card, fold it in half and plug it into a USB port for picture download and viewing...

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check those out...

nhblacksmith

azskyrider said:
I edited my original response. Thanks everyone for your time in helping me.

I have a few more questions. How much memory do you all recommend that is ideal considering that a computer is not available? Is there an online web site that you all trust and recommend for online ordering?

Thanks,

I buy several thousand dollars worth of camera stuff (or more) a year and get most everything from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

B&H is a top notch outfit catering to both amateurs and pros with a great selection and they ship quickly. Their site tells you whether or not they are out of stock on an item. I recommend them without reservation.

As to memory, don't get too hung up on a high megapixel count unless you plan on making wall posters. 4 x 6 high quality prints don't take a lot of resolution and the web takes even less. Megapixel count is a lot more important to salesmen than it is to photographers. Of more importance are things warm up time (like how quickly after you turn on the camera can you take a picture); how many shots and at what rate can you take consecutively without having to wait to take more pictures while the camera writes to the card. The higher the megapixel count, the more storage you will need though most cameras will have lower resolution options. I'd also look at the optical zoom range of the lens. Digital zoom just spreads out the pixels and picture quality deteriorates rapidly.

Your price range should get you a really nice camera.

Good luck,

Neal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears