Will a Coleman Octagon tent keep sand out while beach camping?

Thinking about buying this Coleman Octagon tent

I need to know if the mesh sides and fly cover will be able to keep sand from blowing into the tent. I realize sand will eventually get into tent from kids and dog going in and out, but I really want to know if the mesh and fly system will be adequate for keeping sand from blowing into the tent when it's properly closed. Any other comments are appreciated.

Love how all the sides have windows that can open up to panoramic views. I've got a 4x4 conversion van (not a camper van) and want this tent for primitive camping on the beach. I have wife and 3 kids (all under 8) plus a medium sized dog. I was going to use the tent for sleeping, cooking, and just getting out of the sun. Sure, I could use van to sleep 4, but this will give all enough room to relax and keep wife happy. The van could be a fallback if a big storm popped up or major winds. I've never taken kids camping before so this would be the first go at it. Figured I could upgrade to pop up or more expensive tent down the road if all goes well. I will probably only use it 1-3 times per year and will be for short trips say 2 full days on beach at most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never bought a tent before so I'm quite clueless.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
If you're talking about camping on the TX coast, I seriously doubt it. The winds are usually strong enough that is will get sand moving up high enough to make it through that mesh. Something about the way the wind goes up and around objects like tents just makes it hard to defeat. I've camped on Padre Island before in a tent with a full rain fly and just mesh roof panels and the wind still managed to get sand in there. I've also also had wind blown sand make it into my popup camper down there. My suggestion would be to find a tent that has a space you like, go camp on the beach, and just accept the fact that sand will get everywhere anyway. That's just how it is. Especially with 3 kids under 8 and a dog! Beach camping is a blast. Your kids will love it, but it is a sandy endeavor no matter how hard you try.

Good eye, yes camping on the TX coast. Thank you very much for posting Triplesnake, very helpful. Saw your website. Can you provide any tips for keeping the kids busy? Any activities for them on the beach?

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
X2 on the sand will get into just about everything. We've done our share of camping on Padre Island and the wind and sun are the first two things to address, sand is third. We address the sand by folding bedding in half during the day when the wind is strongest and keep the front closed during the day. We are also set up to take a rinse off shower before getting in the tent at night using a solar shower. Tents with aluminum poles tend to do better than ones with fiberglass. Some type of shade during the day is also nice. EZ-ups don't tend to do well in the wind, and it seems like it is always windy.

Pic of what our beach camp set up has evolved into.
-
Padre2012145.jpg

-
As far as keeping the kids entertained there is usually plenty of stuff to look for on the beach, or you can just give them a shovel. We always make some type of beach sculpture just to decorate the camp up a little.

-
Padre2012119.jpg

AxleIke

Adventurer
X2 on the sand will get into just about everything. We've done our share of camping on Padre Island and the wind and sun are the first two things to address, sand is third. We address the sand by folding bedding in half during the day when the wind is strongest and keep the front closed during the day. We are also set up to take a rinse off shower before getting in the tent at night using a solar shower. Tents with aluminum poles tend to do better than ones with fiberglass. Some type of shade during the day is also nice. EZ-ups don't tend to do well in the wind, and it seems like it is always windy.

Pic of what our beach camp set up has evolved into.
-
Padre2012145.jpg

-
As far as keeping the kids entertained there is usually plenty of stuff to look for on the beach, or you can just give them a shovel. We always make some type of beach sculpture just to decorate the camp up a little.

-
Padre2012119.jpg

Where did you get that awning?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
We never had to try very hard to keep our boy occupied at the beach. A shovel, bucket and a couple of trucks is endless fun. Fly kites, pick up shells, fish, chase birds, or just beach comb. Always interesting stuff washed up on the beach down here. I like that beach sculpture idea! Swimming, body surfing and boogie boarding occupied a lot of our time too. I tried to teach him to surf, but he never seemd that interesed. Some decent waves to ride might have helped, lol. The best thing I ever did at the beach was teach my son how to throw a cast net. He kept me in bait for 10 years! Probably the harder thing then keeping them occupied is getting them to slow down long enough to get some sunscreen on them and drink something so they stay hydrated while playing in the sun. Dang, now you've made me miss the beach, even though it is 25* here this morning.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't worry too much about the sand... when the wind dies down the mosquitoes come out. I've camped out many times on TX's beaches and to be honest the wind and sand were the least of the worries compared to the bugs.
Just make sure the tent has the fine mesh...

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Where did you get that awning?

The tarp is just a home depot flat tarp with grommets, I like the silver/black ones in about 8' x 12' size. The frame is 3/4" conduit cut to match the size of the tarp and legs made the height you want. They make unions to join shorter pieces to get the 12' length. The tricky part is finding corner brackets. Most large flea markets have someone that sells them, or you can hunt online. This place has them:http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/canopy-fittings-flat-roof-fittings.html

Mine were galvanized and have held up for 20 years. The tarp is stretched flat on the frame with small bungee chords. You still need to tie it down when the wind picks up or it will take off.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sand... when the wind dies down the mosquitoes come out. I've camped out many times on TX's beaches and to be honest the wind and sand were the least of the worries compared to the bugs.
Just make sure the tent has the fine mesh...

The wind down by Padre Island doesn't die down much in the summer, (but I always have a tent just in case). The north TX coast, (Surfside, Galveston, etc.) and on into LA the mosquitoes will carry you away around sunset.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Yup, I was near Galveston in Nov. when I've camped on the beaches. Gawd, those bugs are relentless and horrible.

Please tell me more about the bugs. Last time I camped on beach it was at the Galveston island park on bayside in a trailer. We spent the day on the beach. The wind never let down and I didn't have a bug problem. Are the bugs making it into your tent at night? What's best way to beat the bugs?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
You know the mosquito is the national bird of Texas, right? There are times when the mosquitoes are so bad at the coast, it is like a plague of biblical proportions. One of the first times we camped at Mustang Island State Park they were so bad and we started swatting them inside our popup camper in self defense. At the end of the weekend it looked like a murder scene from all of the bug splats. Its weird though. The timing is hard to predict. Two years ago we went to Matagorda one weekend and the bugs were horrible, then we went back like two or three weeks later and they weren't bad at all. The best ways to beat them? Long sleeve shirts, and lots and lots deet laden bug spray. Backwoods Off Orange scent is my go-to. Also running and screaming, and maybe fire might help :elkgrin:

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
A lot of it has to do with wind direction. If it is coming onshore the bugs stay back in the dunes. If it comes from off the dunes the bugs come with it. Generally in the summer the breeze is off the water. As you get into the fall you can get the dreaded north wind. I've abandoned a planned cookout on the beach for sunset when the bugs joined the party. Many more good trips than bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman