Winch Cable, should I replace?

silverscout

Adventurer
I have an 8K lbs winch on my 1997 LX 450 (80 series land cruiser). Looking at the photos, do you think I need to replace the line? This kinks are over 100 feet down the line and there are two with in 10 feet of each other. Thanks!

3402116536_f7ac537389.jpg

3402114756_f38e623cc5.jpg

3401309145_1b86f4caba.jpg

Tennmogger

Explorer
In my opinion, no. Can't see any rust there, and no broken strands. You can take a hammer and a 2x4 and gently work those kinks out, probably, so the cable will lay on the winch better.

I have an 8K lbs winch on my 1997 LX 450 (80 series land cruiser). Looking at the photos, do you think I need to replace the line? This kinks are over 100 feet down the line and there are two with in 10 feet of each other. Thanks!

t0mills

Adventurer
Kinks like that are sometimes hard to avoid.

As Tennmogger said, it doesn't look like there are any broken strands, so you should be fine.

What I've done in the past, is take two 24" sections of 2x4 and bolt them together around the cable.
Then, once the 2x4 assembly comes in contact with the roller fairlead, the winch will pull the cable through the wood.

The tension will straighten out the cable. This is also a great way to spool your winch back tightly, because you can move the 2x4 assembly accross the front two rollers, to help guide the cable where it needs to lay.
Also a PERFECT time to oil the cable as its passing through the wood.

Here are some rough CAD pics I threw together to help demonstrate the idea:

StraightenerAssembly1.jpg

StraightenerAssembly2.jpg

StraightenerAssembly3.jpg

StraightenerAssembly4.jpg

StraightenerAssembly5.jpg

StraightenerAssembly6.jpg

Cheap and easy to make with only hand tools, and works great.

silverscout

Adventurer
You could always use it as justification for your significant that you need to buy a synthetic line LOL. ;)

I knew some one would propose that upgrade. Not a bad idea btw.

Thanks for all the advice. I've only used the winch twice (well worth the investment already) and I'd hate to replace it. I'd also hate to lose a windshield due to a kinked cable. But for now, it stays.

Thanks fellas.

computeruser

Explorer
x3.

That CAD looks worlds better than anything I've ever done to illustrate an idea using MSPaint. (understatement of the week...) Makes me wonder if there is a worthwhile, cheap non-pro CAD program out there...might be fun to have.

t0mills

Adventurer
x3.

That CAD looks worlds better than anything I've ever done to illustrate an idea using MSPaint. (understatement of the week...) Makes me wonder if there is a worthwhile, cheap non-pro CAD program out there...might be fun to have.

Some people have had great luck using Google Sketchup. It's free, and once you learn how to use it, can be pretty powerful.

I personally use Solidworks 2009 to do all of my CAD work. It's pricey, but well worth it if you ever plan to manufacture.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snip.....
I personally use Solidworks 2009 to do all of my CAD work. It's pricey, but well worth it if you ever plan to manufacture.
And you can save a jpg right out of the program, so once you have the model pics like that are fairly easy to generate. I've used that trick here a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan