Winch mount

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I drive a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and I am looking at getting a winch. Can anyone give me a link to a solid winch mount that won't be a whole new bumper?

inked33

Adventurer
i dont have a link but if you dont want to get a new bumper the best thing would be to buy a winch mount for a hitch reciever. i know warn makes one off the top of my head but im sure theres other companies out there as well.

i personally like the reciever winch mounts because you can store the winch out of the elements when its not in use. plus it can be used in the front and rear truck.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i dont have a link but if you dont want to get a new bumper the best thing would be to buy a winch mount for a hitch reciever. i know warn makes one off the top of my head but im sure theres other companies out there as well.

i personally like the reciever winch mounts because you can store the winch out of the elements when its not in use. plus it can be used in the front and rear truck.

bad idea

most removable winch mounts are only rated at like 5000lbs. and they are pretty tough on the truck/mount/etc on side pulls.

Seen a few rip clean off, actually.

to the O.P. is a bumper mount REALLY not an option, or can you wait longer to save up the cash?

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well, a full winch bumper is about $850 at the cheapest and I was hoping to find something in the $200 range. Something just to mount the winch.

JJackson

Explorer
bad idea

most removable winch mounts are only rated at like 5000lbs. and they are pretty tough on the truck/mount/etc on side pulls.

Seen a few rip clean off, actually.

to the O.P. is a bumper mount REALLY not an option, or can you wait longer to save up the cash?

I have a removable winch with a 9000i Warn on the front of a 2500hd Chevy and have not had a problem (we have at least 4 trucks like this) and have used on a few occasions. Even had two of them hooked to an aerial lift truck that was stuck with no problems. But I would rather have a proper winch bumper even if it took a little more saving.

viter

Adventurer
don't think anybody sells one for a 2002 tacoma, but I made a winch mount to go inside the front bumper of my 2003 tacoma - you can read some threads on this - http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14884&highlight=hidden+winch+mount and http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20084

Dsc04079.jpg

more pics at http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/ua_taco/winch plate and winch and lights/

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I also have a Skid Row skid plate. It seems like the All Pro would replace this and I just put it on right after Christmas.

KG6BWS

Explorer
your best bet would be to build one yourself inside the stock bumper like viter. if i remember correctly theres nothing available for the pre05's other than a hitch mount, I THINK. i agree though that those are not the best option.

second option would be to have a fab shop make it for you, and could probably be done relatively inexpensively, provided you dont get TOO fancy.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior