Winch wiring

billiebob

Lots of ways to do it, then there is the best way, run 2 wires +&- from the battery.
There are several threads/stories where grounding to the chassis has resulted in damage to other equipment.

As for trouble ordering during the pandemic,,,, wait til it is over. But 1 or 2 wires, you still need the same connectors.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have the Smittybilt winch hitch so that I can move the winch front or back as needed, and also did not want to block airflow to the 6.0 with a full bumper. My question is, I will run the positive lead to the battery front and back, but do I need to run the negative lead to the battery, or can I just ground to the chassis near the winch front and back? Also, I need a plug that will handle the load of the winch, so I can plug in front or back...I don’t have access to the standard quick connects. Can I adapt 110v or 220v 30amp sockets for this?

Check a local welding supply shop, look for their 1awg or 1/0 cable fittings. They should have some sort of plug-in or quick-connect fittings.

I've been working towards the same sort of front/rear winching solution for while. I've run a pair of 1/0 cables to the rear of my Suburban as well as tying my Aux battery in with 1/0 and replacing the charge wire from my high output alternator with 1/0 as well. And am right now in the process of finally extending those 1/0 runs to both my rear bumper and front grill. But I am using Anderson SB175 connectors. You ought to be able to find welding cable connectors that will serve the same purpose for your install.

winch119 solenoid reloc.jpg
winch129 front plug bracket.jpg
winch153 rear plug bracket conduit.jpg
winch156 rear plug cargo plugs.jpg
winch157 rear plug jumper cables.jpg
powermodule158.jpg

The plan started about 3-1/2yrs ago. Got pretty much the same 'you're gonna burn everything down' advice then.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Call around to places that sell forklifts, they use Anderson style connectors. You should be able to order custom length cables in suitable gauges as well (or from a welding shop). I haven't seen anyone use the frame ground in a long time (not that I've really been paying attention) but if you do decide you need to save some money then definitely upgrade your battery ground strap or you're going to have problems. Make sure that your cables are well protected against damage from the vehicle itself, i.e. pinching when flexing, and any other hazards. I'd recommend inspecting them any time you're under the vehicle such as greasing zerks, etc.

An alternate idea would be a rear mounted battery but you'd still have to run wires for charging and everything else that goes along with dual batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12