Winch!?

Runner1234

Observer
Im going to be investing in a winch setup within the next couple of months. Should i go with the smittybilt xrc8 with a snatch block or a 12000lb vortex winch? Thanks

toymaster

Explorer
Have you checked out Engo winches? They tested the best for endurance in a recent 4x4 mag article. I am a warn guy but I'm going Engo on my rear winch, to good a deal to pass up.

The answer depends on how much your vehicle weighs. The standard is 1.5 times the weight. Either way I always suggest the use of a snatch block. It doubles the power of the winch and allows more rope to be taken off the drum so, you use a lower wrap thereby increase the power of the winch even more. Recovery gear is pricey but you can find deals if you look. Snatch blocks are an item that are way over priced just keep looking for a sale. Two years ago I got several Mile Marker 24K blocks for ~$50 each.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Have you checked out Engo winches? They tested the best for endurance in a recent 4x4 mag article. I am a warn guy but I'm going Engo on my rear winch, to good a deal to pass up.

The answer depends on how much your vehicle weighs. The standard is 1.5 times the weight. Either way I always suggest the use of a snatch block. It doubles the power of the winch and allows more rope to be taken off the drum so, you use a lower wrap thereby increase the power of the winch even more. Recovery gear is pricey but you can find deals if you look. Snatch blocks are an item that are way over priced just keep looking for a sale. Two years ago I got several Mile Marker 24K blocks for ~$50 each.

Man I really wish they made something bigger than a 12K. Ive heard REALLY good things about them.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i have a 12k engo winch on my 92 3/4 ton suburban, and it has been amazing, ive used it more times then i can could. Used it a bunch for recovery also used it to pull a bunch of trees out of peoples yards for them, even pulled so hard i stalled it a few times with no issues. Been a really great winch so far especially for the price i dont see how you could beat it. Also the solenoid box had a small crack when i received it but i didnt really mind since i was drilling holes in it anyway to mount it different, i called for something else and mentioned it and they send out another complete box in like 2 days. Also when i called an actual human answered the phone, almost cought me off guard lol. Id highly recommend them though.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have a tuffstuff 12,500 that has been great to me the last few years. I got it from truckandwinch.com

Best part, it is only $275

TUFF STUFF 12,500LB Electric 12 Volt Winch - TUFF STUFF 4x4 12,500 lbs 12v Truck Recovery Winch has proven to be one of the best deals on the market. We are so confident in the quality of these winches that we are offering an Extended 3 Year Warranty In addition, we are certain that you will be completely satisfied when you see it and test it, that we have a 14 Day Return Policy.

This exact winch Retails for over $800 in the USA - WHY PAY FULL RETAIL WHEN YOU CAN PURCHASE IMPORTER DIRECT. MORE THAN 2500 SOLD OVER A 3.5 YEAR PERIOD AND NOT A SINGLE MOTOR NEEDING REPLACEMENT.

ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: The Tuff Stuff Winch Package Includes:

12,500 lb. Winch

Winch Cable

12 ft. Corded Winch Remote (Optional Wireless Remote Available)

8 Ton Snatch Block

Recovery Gloves

Waterproof Winch Cover

6 ft. Of Terminated 2 Gauge Positive/Negative Battery Cable

All Necessary Wiring For Installation and Hardware Included

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
1) i recommend a snatch block no matter what size winch you get.

2) ive seen nothing but trouble from smittybilt winches

3) harbor freight has a winch that is the exact same as a milemarker (i had good luck with a 9500# milemarker on my 98 cummins) just with a different label, and you can get a warranty with harbor freight also.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
I recently got a smittybilt xrc10. 10k winch for 400bucks thru 4wheelparts. Havent gotten to use it yet, but have heard lots of good things about smitty. Got mine mounted on a hitch cradle so i can run it front or rear. Heavy set up tho, close to 130lbs...

IMAG0325.jpg

And, yea, snatch block it!

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
I recently got a smittybilt xrc10. 10k winch for 400bucks thru 4wheelparts. Havent gotten to use it yet, but have heard lots of good things about smitty. Got mine mounted on a hitch cradle so i can run it front or rear. Heavy set up tho, close to 130lbs...

IMAG0325.jpg

And, yea, snatch block it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger