Wind noise difference between CVT fold-out and James Baroud hard top?

vision-quest

Observer
Currently laying in my CVT RTT close to Mammoth Lakes and there's no chance I'm sleeping tonight with the way the flaps on this rooftop tent are moving about. The noise is crazy. Looking to potentially upgrade to a James Baroud hard top... is the noise difference in wind significant? Also, does it make a difference in MPG? I'm only getting 14-15 highway MPG on my 2008 V6 4Runner right now with this thing on... I get better MPG in the city than on the highway.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Currently laying in my CVT RTT close to Mammoth Lakes and there's no chance I'm sleeping tonight with the way the flaps on this rooftop tent are moving about. The noise is crazy. Looking to potentially upgrade to a James Baroud hard top... is the noise difference in wind significant? Also, does it make a difference in MPG? I'm only getting 14-15 highway MPG on my 2008 V6 4Runner right now with this thing on... I get better MPG in the city than on the highway.

The James Baroud will have zero flapping of fabric during windy nights. The gas struts raise the tent and then the arms are pushed past center locking them tight and applying proper tension on the exterior fabric. This is why our tents are rated to 70mph winds, making this possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJP_9JW6NQ but a tad silly.

We have also recently changed our zipper pulls to a nylon cord to prevent zipper noise during wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online