Window frame fitment issues on A.R.E cap

Brex69

Hello all.
I pick up a used a.r.e shell and noticed the previous owner put silicone on top of the window frames I assume they leak so I pulled the windows out to replace the seals, a.r.e used push in bulb seals.
Anyway, I set the frame into the opening and have huge gaps between the shell and the frame, there was no gaps before I removed them. Any idea what’s going on here?

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

Brex69

Wrong size bulb seal?

Wrong durometer (squishiness) of rubber in the seal?

Seal too cold on install?
There is no seal on it yet. The seal used is 1/4 “ thick , I understand the frame will draw in when the retainer ring is tightened down but I’m thinking it won’t compress enough for a long lasting seal, must be why the PO had it slathered in silicone lol

Brex69

With no scale in the picture, it is hard to say “how bad” that is.

How much gap is there, and is it at every corner?
Gap is a little less than 1/2 “, all corners have gaps on right side window left side isn’t as bad. I ordered the seals, I’ll put them on and post another pic

Brex69

Was out looking at the frames and noticed that one was made in 2016(same year as the cap) and the one giving me problems was made in 2022 so it was replaced at one time. Since these are windoors there would be no reason to replace the frame if just the glass got broke.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Any evidence that the cap itself has been repaired? Any chance that swapping the windows side to side would help the fit?

It sounds like you might be SOL with some sort of minor design change over the years and the prior owner might have felt silicone was the best available option.

Brex69

Any evidence that the cap itself has been repaired? Any chance that swapping the windows side to side would help the fit?

It sounds like you might be SOL with some sort of minor design change over the years and the prior owner might have felt silicone was the best available option.
The top doesn’t appear to have been damaged, left and right can’t be swapped.
By looking at the fiberglass where it’s cut out for the window it looks thicker on the side with the problem it also appears to be curved slightly more pushing the frame away causing the gap, probably a manufacturing flaw and they said close enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior