Winter shakedown run

direwolf82

So I'll start by saying my phone is acting up and I can't get to any pictures, sorry.
But it was my first time out with my new storage and sleeping arrangements and I'm very happy about everything so I figured I'd share.
We, being Manco the 14 month old husky/border collie mutt and I, got fed up with being stuck at home and needed to get out so we tried going to the rapidan wildlife management area in virginia to try for some brown trout for dinner. The drive in looked a little sketchy with 6-10 more snow forecast overnight on top of the 4 inches on the ground. Hopefully my winch plate shows up and I can stick the warn sitting in my living room on and try again soon but seeing as how it's sitting in the living room currently I turned around and headed up the rapidan fire rd instead.
I made it to the gate closing off Shenandoah Park and...parked. I think it's a fun ride all the way to the gate, nothing technical or serious but great scenery.
Manco and I took a little walk up and down the river and then headed off to see the hoover fishing camp. Pretty cool, we surprised a deer and were surprised by him. At least I think it was a deer, this was all at night by fading flashlight.
Back at camp I immediately found out two things, I rue forgetting a chair and the built in table is just insanely convenient. Cooking dinner? Easy. Getting the dog his food and water? No problem. Putting together fly fishing rigs? Cake walk. No more fumbling and dropping stuff on the ground trying to balance other stuff.
I highly recommend a table and drawer combo to anyone who is considering it.
It snowed 6" overnight and was still coming down heavy in the morning!
Manco was loving life, next time I'll have a camera that works and a sled for him so we can do the dog sledding on the trails thing.
The 4runner was great in the snow with it's wildpeaks on. Zero slip or issues in or out with some slight off camber stuff and some moderate hills to get in and out.
I'm thinking about getting Manco a custom made bed to fill the area he has better, plus it's made in Texas, waterproof and supposedly super tough and durable. Also it's not that much more to have one made to fit than it is to buy from the catalog. I'm also thinking an awning would be much more convenient than I originally thought. I wonder if I can build one into the roof rack I'm starting to draw up?
If you've made it this far reading what are some of your favorite accessories that you've gotten? What are some you've gotten and ended up not needing? I've done the tent camping thing and the offroading thing separately but this whole car camping/overlanding thing is what I've been missing in life and any experience and advice is appreciated.
Alright, I'm done rambling. Next time I'll just have a few pictures and a third less of me yacking.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12