Word of caution on building a storage box in the back

mtnblue

Observer
A couple of weekends ago, I got a "great idea" to build a box to put in back of my '95 SR to store tow straps, chains, jumper cables and various assorted tools. I've been checking around looking at all the cool boxes people have been making with the fancy drawers and locks etc. So a couple of days ago, I loaded up a portable generator and some other heavy things into my new box and set off on my way. I got to the place where I was to pull the generator out and went to open the door, and the handle felt broken. It was sitting there, literally "flapping in the wind".

Crap.

I went to the computer to figure out how to fix that latch, and low an behold, my new box was in the way. I couldn't open it from the outside, nor could I open it from the inside as the box blocked the access to the rear door. Fortunately I didn't spend a lot of time building the box (without glue) and I was able to unscrew all the screws and take it apart while inside the back of the truck. If I had one of those fancy custom built boxes in back there, it may have been a different story. Expecially if the box was locked from a place accessible only when the door was open. Plan b, throw out the box idea and order a "Spare" door mechanism, so it could be repaired anytime. From what I read, the latching mechanism is a pretty common part that breaks a lot. Apparently cold affects the mechanism too. I ordered a couple of latches onlilne last night, and I went out this morning and it was probably 40F warmer today than it was yesterday 0 vs 40F, and today the latch works.

Lesson learned- if you decide to make a rear box, have a back up plan to take it apart if the rear door latch craps out on you.

Also, saw a youtube of an Aus enthusiast and he recommended taking out the tool box out of the rear door to access the latch bolts. Cool idea.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
We've talked about making up a billet rear door mechanism. some guys have made it out of metal already, mine has a metal pin in it as the plastic stuff dried out and broke off down here.

mtnblue

Observer
We've talked about making up a billet rear door mechanism. some guys have made it out of metal already, mine has a metal pin in it as the plastic stuff dried out and broke off down here.

When someone comes up with that design for sale, let me know, I am interested. It sucked having to unscrew my box from the inside of the truck to get it out so I could get to the rear door.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I'd like a metal latch mechanism for the piece of mind it provides. We tend to be in really remote areas of the Rockies during the Summer and I'd hate to have to deal with a buggered door latch while on the trail. That said, I will order a couple spare mechanisms before our next trip.

bluebear

Observer
I had to Sawzall a notch in my sleeping platform to open the door. I was only using the platform for storage so needless to say I just removed it. Also, you can order replacement latch mechanisms for about 2 bucks plus shipping from China. Looks identical and the plastic parts actually feel like they're better quality. I ordered two shipped on the slow boat for about $15 CND.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998