Wrangler JK - If I wanted to perform my own maintenance/repairs, what would I need?

lysol

Explorer
I've been looking for an OEM Service/Repair Manual for the JK (NOT Haynes and the other one). I've been able to find the OEM manual on a disc for about $140, but not a printed version.

lysol

Explorer
So...are you asking what tools you would need to carry, or where to get a printed manual?

I guess everything. Though there are already so many threads online where people are compiling tool lists so I don't want to beat that dead horse. There aren't many threads on sourcing a good repair manual. Since this is about doing my own work, what software tools do people use? AEV's ProCal can do some minor configurations, but what about other things?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use Auto Enginuity. It is a little rough in the interface but you learn where things are eventually.

I really bought it for my Powerstroke, but bought the domestic service module, and it has bailed quite a few of my friends and neighbors out of diagnostic issues.

Other than that, basic tools, a second vehicle for parts chasing, and YouTube are about all you need for any home mechanic these days.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A good 3/8" drive, and 1/2" drive metric socket set, a full Torx socket set, a hammer, and heavy duty (tall) jack stands.

Pushrod

Unfortunately it takes more than screwdrivers and wrenches on today's vehicles. A good diagnostics computer has been required to find/fix the last two problems I have experienced on my JK. First problem was when my battery died causing the computer to "forget" the accelerator pedal, requiring the dealership to use a laptop on the CAM system to "re-learn" the accelerator pedal position. The symptom was after replacing the dead battery the engine would only idle no matter how far the accelerator pedal was pressed until it re-learned it. The second problem was anti-lock brake sensor failure, which causes failure of cruise control and the electronic stability control to quit working. On that problem I could have thrown new sensors on until the problem was found but fortunately a good friend has a Snap-On diagnostic computer and he located the failed sensor for me and it was it only cost me the $25 sensor and bought his 2 man shop burgers for lunch.

lysol

Explorer
Unfortunately it takes more than screwdrivers and wrenches on today's vehicles. A good diagnostics computer has been required to find/fix the last two problems I have experienced on my JK. First problem was when my battery died causing the computer to "forget" the accelerator pedal, requiring the dealership to use a laptop on the CAM system to "re-learn" the accelerator pedal position. The symptom was after replacing the dead battery the engine would only idle no matter how far the accelerator pedal was pressed until it re-learned it. The second problem was anti-lock brake sensor failure, which causes failure of cruise control and the electronic stability control to quit working. On that problem I could have thrown new sensors on until the problem was found but fortunately a good friend has a Snap-On diagnostic computer and he located the failed sensor for me and it was it only cost me the $25 sensor and bought his 2 man shop burgers for lunch.

Those SnapOn systems are pretty pricey. I wonder how hard it is to get an entry level understanding of them and use one.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The cost of something like the Snap On system is why I got the Auto Enginuity software. Look into it. I think I was about 1200 including the laptop I bought to run it, and about 100 or 150 a year in maintenance and licensing fees. With 3 OBD II cars going on 10 years old, it easily pays for itself. I also run diagnostics on most of my friends and neighbors rigs...

The snap on interface is easier to learn though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior