Wrecked 3g 4runner rebuild

Chris Goehring

So a couple weeks ago I crashed my 1996 4runner into a tree mudding, there was no frame damage but the passenger side corner was pulled into my wheel so I couldnt turn it. My buddy hooked a tow strap to the corner and pulled it out straight enough to drive around (good ole toyotas). She has 240k miles, 3.4 v6, 5 speed manual tranny, from the crash Ill need a new Radiator support, cv axle, windshield, and air bags. But my shocks and coils are done, my steerings loose as a french whore, and the bodies pretty dinged up. Already put new radiator, headlighs, hood, and fender( the bumper and grill wont line up so ill weld a plate one on). The engine and tranny have always ran good, pretty well maintained.

I really want to get into overland expeditions with my girlfriend and debating my options, should I just sell it for nothing and buy an land cruiser or take the 4 grand and put it into rebuilding the runner? Whole new front end, OME lift, and fab up some bumpers n roof racks, eventually rebuild the engine and tranny?

Keep in mind that Im 19 years old and this will be my DD, But I work 60 hours a week and have buddys with some good welding skills. I would be looking at moderate trails around northern california, oregon, washington, and Canada, nothing longer than 2 -3 weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated

Wainiha

Explorer
Kinda hard to answer without pics. I guess the best thing is to price it all and then decide. Me, once I get a truck and get comfortable I keep it. Buying another used one always leaves questions.

You in the PNW?

Chris Goehring

I just put some up, Im driving it like this till I figure out what Im gonna do. And yes in central california, close to Sacramento.
Im working on a parts list right now.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
In the pics it doesn't look like a bad situation at all, especially in the last pic with the swapped body panels but then I read about the airbags. I don't know if it's legal just to patch the dash up without replacing the airbags but if so, and you're comfortable doing it, not replacing the airbags could definitely make it worth repairing. Replacing those would likely go through most of your repair budget and I'm not sure if that's a DIY repair. From the pics, it looks like it wouldn't be tough to patch the front-end back together. If the mounting points for the bumper/grille/valence etc aren't lined up or functional, you could always use a custom/homemade grille and aftermarket/custom/homemade bumper to finish things up.

Good luck--sorry about the tree hit.

Chris Goehring

Thanks for the reply, I'm not too concerned about the airbags I cut them out and taped it shut haha but yea I'm thinking about keeping it.

blakeape

Adventurer
I'd fix it up and run it. I have a 96 Tacoma and a couple 4runners with 3.4's and love them, particularly with a 5spd. I SAS'd my Tacoma at 138K because the front end was totally wore out and a broke the ring and pinion. I wouldn't go that far if I was you, but a new steering rack, some tie rods, alignment and a mild 2-3 inch lift could put you in a good place. On another note I might have some of the parts you need like the airbags. PM me if you are interested.
Jake

Chris Goehring

I was considering doing a d44 sas but will probably just go ome with a rebuild, I don't need airbags but any arb equipment or used ome lifts I would be interested in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman