WTB - FJZ80 1996-97

SoCalSwimmer

Hi I'm looking for a 96-97 FJZ80. Here is a list of things I'm looking for.

Wants;
-Factory lockers
-Little to no rust
-Clean interior (tan)
-Contemporary color (grey, black etc)
-West coast preferably (I'm stationed in San Diego, traveling over a few hundred miles would be difficult) but if your Vehicle is clean enough I can consider.

Needs;
-Moderate mileage less then 135k
-No major rust
-No major body damage/issues
-Clean title

If anyone can find me a Land cruiser with these specifications from a reputable person from which I purchase I'll be offering a small finders fee! Ask your friends..

peneumbra

Explorer
Probably the hardest want to fulfill is the "less than 135K mileage": most people who have these trucks use them quite a bit because they're so pleasant to operate. And, in truth, I've never really needed the locking diffs when I've been off-road, which is a lot.

Found mine with 170,000 miles, with upgraded suspension and in excellent condition, for around $12,000...

The_Dude

Adventurer
I found mine 4 years ago with 113k locked for $8100. Probably an 8/10 condition but a few aesthetic issues weren't enough to keep me from enjoying it. Has 153k on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I have one that I'm on the fence about selling, however it's slightly outside of your parameters..

It's built, has about everything you could ask for. Which is why I'm on the fence about selling, but I really want a 200 series :)

The jist of it...
clean title
no major body damge
moonglow color
It's a 1995, I think it's at 168k miles.
TRD Supercharged May 2014, 150.4k miles (one of the last ones made by trd)
CDL switch
ARB Lockers Fr/Rr with OEM switch and dash indicators
arb air compressor
4.88 gearing installed circa 2008
35" toyo atII extremes with america's tire certificates (less than 5k miles on them) 5 tires
OME J's front w/1" spacer
OME864 rear (installed around 2013)
2.5" radflo piggyback shocks tuned per my weights (installed around 2013)
ARB front bumper w/LF lights
Warn winch with synthetic line
hanna sliders
4x4 dual swingout rear bumper
dual group 31 batteries.
2m/440 ham radio
front runner rack
fiamma awning
african outback drawers
african outback water tank

not installed
oem aux gas tank
dual filler neck
overhead fuel level console

There's more, this is just a quick run down. If I do sell it, I'm guessing it's going to be right around $20k. Don't quote me on the price but I'm giving you a heads up, it's not going anywhere for some $14k :)

I really want to sell it and I really don't want to sell it.

SoCalSwimmer

Probably the hardest want to fulfill is the "less than 135K mileage": most people who have these trucks use them quite a bit because they're so pleasant to operate. And, in truth, I've never really needed the locking diffs when I've been off-road, which is a lot.

Found mine with 170,000 miles, with upgraded suspension and in excellent condition, for around $12,000...

I know its subjective to the use of the vehicle but for arguments sake, lets say a truck that was not abused by its owner but it was often used and taken care of decently what are the most common
repairs and typical yearly cost in maintenance? These trucks are 20+ years old after all.

The_dude - are you selling your truck or just giving some insight?

Mlachica - anywhere i can see some photos of your baby?

I'm quite new to the expedition vehicle world; I want to buy a good condition truck that i will be able to modify and not worry about it taking a dump on me and having to ship it to the shop for a few weeks.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I'm quite new to the expedition vehicle world; I want to buy a good condition truck that i will be able to modify and not worry about it taking a dump on me and having to ship it to the shop for a few weeks.

anything could happen......

you could even break a timing chain

little or no rust is easy. Dont worry about lockers, you can add those later.

there is a long thread over on ih8mud.com 80 series cost of ownership, get some beer and start reading.

Upland80

Adventurer
I've got just the rig you're looking for! But it's not for sale...:) IMHO...mileage and history is most important. I added a Harrop/Eaton elocker to the front and Aussie in the rear. I LOVE the 80 platform for serious off road duty...be patient and you'll find one. So. Cal is full of em!

Chickenhawk

Be patient and be diligent. There are plenty of apps and websites that will do the searching for you. Have cash in hand, not at the bank, and be ready to jump. I found my 80(actually my wife's argh!) last fall with 31k on the OD for $9300. I was the first guy there with cash in my pocket, I didn't dicker. As it was a Sunday, banks closed, if I didn't have cash on hand someone else would have been driving it home.

SoCalSwimmer

Be patient and be diligent. There are plenty of apps and websites that will do the searching for you. Have cash in hand, not at the bank, and be ready to jump. I found my 80(actually my wife's argh!) last fall with 31k on the OD for $9300. I was the first guy there with cash in my pocket, I didn't dicker. As it was a Sunday, banks closed, if I didn't have cash on hand someone else would have been driving it home.

:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

peneumbra

Explorer
There are lots of folks out there who are looking for a really good 80-series with all the trimmings, so when someone says "be ready to jump on it," they're not kidding.

If you don't have the cash on you, I guess you could leave a family member as a deposit until the bank opens...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears