WTHIJ's 2008 Elk-'spedition

“So how do you hunt for elk anyways?” I asked. He said “probably very similar to the way that you do” then he turned his focus to another customer. Apparently, he either thought that I was kidding, or didn’t really care to share his knowledge. The thing is… I wasn’t kidding, I've never done this before. I took my elk tag, big game regs, and left the store.

Amongst those with whom I regularly associate, I’m kind of an exception to the norm. I like to experience life in an extremely broad variety of ways, rather than simply on a fairly limited and/or narrow path. I enjoy challenging myself physically, mentally, and spiritually, and love experiences for what they are- experiences… which leads me to my latest self-challenge, elk hunting. The only thing is, well, I’ve never done it, and don’t know anyone who has.

A deer is one thing- walk up to a dumb fat deer, knock an arrow, and as they look at you to see what you're doing, aim and release. I did that just fine once- easy. However, I’ve never really been all that close to an elk in the bush, and really need to get within about 20 yards to be able to comfortably release an arrow, and with confidence that my aim will be true.

So here’s a question to any elk hunters on the forum: “how do you get one to come to you?” Archery season starts at the end of the month here, and my bag limit is “one elk”, meaning bull or cow. Keep in mind that I’m not looking for a trophy; I’m looking for elk meat. I have no clue here people… zero experience. However, I’m pretty bent on completing a successful hunt/kill, and want to learn. If you good elk hunting folks could share some details and/or wisdom with me, I’d be very grateful.

Topics of interest are:

* What TO do / what NOT to do.
* Calling in. Best ways?
* Getting close enough to take the shot.
* Bad shots / good shots (geographically).
* Knockdown! …now what?
* Getting it out of the woods.
* Quartering: a how-to guide.
* Pro-butcher or do it myself?
* Any other critical / useful information.
* General tips from experienced elk hunters.
* Favorite web resources for beginners.

Keep in mind that this will be an unsupported solo hunt, so no need to describe anything like “first you need to ____ while at the same time have your hunting partner ____.” Regardless of how hunting may be viewed by some folks as unnecessary and/or un-cool, I will be participating in the hunt, and feel that it is in my (and the elk’s) best interest to gather as much information from any reliable sources that I can. Thanks in advance for sharing your advice and/or experiences, and helping me be a safe and successful hunter.

:camping: :elkgrin:

Last edited:

longcreative

WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
“So how do you hunt for elk anyways?” I asked. He said “probably very similar to the way that you do” then he turned his focus to another customer. Apparently, he either thought that I was kidding, or didn’t really care to share his knowledge. The thing is… I wasn’t kidding, I've never done this before. I took my elk tag, big game regs, and left the store.

Amongst those with whom I regularly associate, I’m kind of an exception to the norm. I like to experience life in an extremely broad variety of ways, rather than simply on a fairly limited and/or narrow path. I enjoy challenging myself physically, mentally, and spiritually, and love experiences for what they are- experiences… which leads me to my latest self-challenge, elk hunting. The only thing is, well, I’ve never done it, and don’t know anyone who has.

A deer is one thing- walk up to a dumb fat deer, knock an arrow, and as they look at you to see what you're doing, aim and release. I did that just fine once- easy. However, I’ve never really been all that close to an elk in the bush, and really need to get within about 20 yards to be able to comfortably release an arrow, and with confidence that my aim will be true.

So here’s a question to any elk hunters on the forum: “how do you get one to come to you?” Archery season starts at the end of the month here, and my bag limit is “one elk”, meaning bull or cow. Keep in mind that I’m not looking for a trophy; I’m looking for elk meat. I have no clue here people… zero experience. However, I’m pretty bent on completing a successful hunt/kill, and want to learn. If you good elk hunting folks could share some details and/or wisdom with me, I’d be very grateful.

Topics of interest are:

* What TO do / what NOT to do.
* Calling in. Best ways?
* Getting close enough to take the shot.
* Bad shots / good shots (geographically).
* Knockdown! …now what?
* Getting it out of the woods.
* Quartering: a how-to guide.
* Any other critical / useful information.
* General tips from experienced elk hunters.
* Favorite web resources for beginners.

Keep in mind that this will be an unsupported solo hunt, so no need to describe anything like “first you need to ____ while at the same time have your hunting partner ____.” Regardless of how hunting may be viewed by some folks as unnecessary and/or un-cool, I will be participating in the hunt, and feel that it is in my (and the elk’s) best interest to gather as much information from any reliable sources that I can. Thanks in advance for sharing your advice and/or experiences, and helping me be a safe and successful hunter.

:camping: :elkgrin:
I hunt elk in Arizona...you can email or call me if you are interested in knowing more. I will send my info in a pm.

a.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm no expert on elk, so I'll leave that to someone else.

An unsupported solo hunt? I can comment on this area:

* Getting it out of the woods
* Quartering: a how-to guide

The most important consideration will be how to get the meat back to your transportation before it spoils. You are a meat hunter, so don't take the game unless you can handle the meat.

Consider the terrain you will be hunting in. Consider the typical weather. Consider the access points to the hunting area. How far to the car. Can you pack 4 quarters out yourself before the meat spoils? Do you have a hiking partner who can help with this? Can you access the animal with a game cart?

Having ice on hand at your vehicle to keep it cool in the meantime so there is no spoilage - depending on weather conditions this may or may not be a problem.

I think I still have a detailed description on how to quarter the animal and what tools you will typically need. I'll look and if I have it I can scan it and email it to you.

There is also this article I found which I glanced at:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Elk/A_Field_Dressing_Guide_for_Elk_and_Deer_09230301.html

We have always used a butcher in the past for game and we have been happy with them. Make sure you discuss in detail the cuts of meat you want so you are not unhappy with the results.

Photog

Explorer
Get an instruction video on calling and hunting elk.

After a properly placed shot, do not move and spook the elk. Let it walk off, and die calmly. When spooked, they can run for a mile or two, in very rough terrain, before they die. But the blood trail quits long before this, and all is wasted. The video should discuss this point.

Elk are extra large, compared to a deer. Once the animal is down, you have a load of work to do. You have already taken a deer, so you understand the process of field-dressing the animal.

The hide & hair will keep the heat in the meat, an will spoil if not removed quickly, after field-dressing. So; step 1 & 2 - gut & skin.

To skin it, you will need to hang it. Again, elk are large and heavy. Make sure you have strong rope and pullys to haul it into a tree. This is easier, if done in two parts (fore & aft).

Keep the skin in one piece, and have it tanned. Makes very nice leather. To keep it in one piece, and still hang the elk in two pieces, you will have to haul up one end of the elk, and skin it 1/2 way down. Then sever body in 1/2, an haul up the other 1/2, and finish skinning.

Use a piece of tree limb, placed in the body cavity, to prop the ribs open. This will help cool the meet, while it is hanging. Use a cheese cloth bag (purchase at sporting good store) to cover each 1/2, while you finishing this process.

It would be best if you have some type of hand-cart, to get the meat back to the vehicle. You may still need to quarter it.

If you are hiking it out, on your back, you may want to bone out the meat first. This means you will need the proper knife, sharpener, saw, rags, water, etc. The bones are quite heavy, and this step will save some weight.

If it is cold outside, you don't have to work as fast, once the skin is off. NOTE: If you leave the skin on, the meet will spoil quickly, even if temps are below freezing in Oregon.

Have a pro do the butchering. Unless you want another, completely new experience to add to you list. You will need another refigerator (large), a meat grinder, butchering map, knives, steel, cutting board (large), etc, etc...

I've only gone through this process once for elk, and it wasn't even my elk. Many times with deer, lighter weight and less spoiage problems. My dad & I also butchered all our own deer (burger, steaks, jerky, roasts, etc.).

Last edited:

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
This is all good info. I would like to add my $.02 worth. I have lived in CO for 30 years. Hunted elk for 24 of that and taken 10 with a rifle and 1 with a bow.
I use a cow call frequently just for cover. I have called in 3 (2 to a rifle and 1 to bow). I arrowed mine at 17 yards through both lungs (best spot in my opinion).
Your DOW probably has some decent DVDs on hunting in Oregon. The Colorado DOW also has some plus one on field dressing. Wayne Carlton, Greg Laubach and many others have DVDs on calling and hunting.
I prefer to skin mine on the ground so I can use the skin to protect the meat while I am deboning.
I have packed out 1 by myself for nearly 5 miles one way (Rawah Wilderness Area). It took four trips and I did not bring out the antlers and hide. One more trip would have broken me. Myself and a larger friend packed a deboned bull out near Lake City in one trip each. Lost one front leg due to calcification from someone elses bad shot. The packs weighed in at 110 lbs and 120 lbs. It hurt!
I personally like backpacking (dry camping) and hunting as I move. Set up a bivuac at night overlooking a meadow for the evening and next morning. Then loading up and moving again. I like using a frame pack so I can haul the load out a little easier. It also works well for a gun rest.
Practice with all the equipment on that you will carry in the field and from all possible shooting positions.
My personal max yardage is 35. I have shot 8 deer with a bow out to that distance and it meets my "pie plate" accuracy.
Hope this helps?
You will have a great time whether you get one or not. Something about bow hunting in that I always saw lots of game, but just couldn't get to the 35 yard line.

Photog

Explorer
Ridgewalker said:
I prefer to skin mine on the ground so I can use the skin to protect the meat while I am deboning.

That is a great tip. How do you store the meat left at the site, while you haul the first loads to the vehicle (we always hang ours up)?

Last edited:

XL Bar

Observer
"Gutless Method"

Heed the advice from the previous posts. Stalking and cleanly killing an elk with a bow is a serious undertaking. Getting the meat out without spoilage during the hot weather that most bow seasons run is the primary difficulty. We are talking hundreds of pounds of meat. The Utah season is running right now and temps are in the '90s.

Don't get me wrong. It can be done. Make sure you have paracord and game bags. Do a search on the "gutless method". Here is a synopsis. Don't bother gutting the animal. Get the animal on its side (easier said then done with a 400+lb animal). Skin up the back and skin one side. Disjoint the hind quarter at the ball joint. Cut the loin off. Remove the front shoulder. Bone the neck meat off of that side. Make a slit in the abdominal cavity and carefully fish in and remove the tenderloin. Roll the animal over and repeat. Then bone all the meat and let cool to ambient temperature. Put in game bags and hang if possible. Get it out of the bush and into a cooler ASAP.

The most difficult part is moving the animal around but paracord and ingenuity can get it done.

I do this on every animal I take from Pronghorn to Elk. Getting the hide off and bones out is the key in warm weather hunting.

Brian

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I tried to scan a chapter out of a game cookbook to email you but I'm going to try again as the results were subpar. I also scanned an article from this months Wyoming Wildlife about the benefits of cutting your own meat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12