Yakima universal mighty mounts as Hi-lift mount

irish_11

Explorer
I was thinking of mounting a set of these on my bed rack to mount my hi-lift and shovel. Has anyone played with them? I was wondering if they were sturdy enough to keep a hi-lift from becoming a projectile (given I use a correct grade bolt).

My rack I plan on mounting Hi-lift to:
32050_651238046830_25914463_37884673_5832718_n.jpg

http://www.yakima.com/shop/factorycrossbars/universal-mightymounts

My canoe rack is 1" square steel and it says it will mount to Thule bars, Yakima bars and factory racks so I thought it might be a good option.

colodak

Adventurer
Yakima makes a specific mount for a hi-lift, shovel, axe, etc., but they require that you have one of their baskets in place as well. This photo sucks, but my hi-lift is a couple pieces of 2x4 steel tube, took a 1" dia. bolt, cut the head off, drilled through the middle of the steel and welded it in two places. I then drilled holes to allow for 1" spread U-bolts to clap my cross bars and hold the steel in place. My hi-lift sits on top, with the bolts going through the holes in the hi-lift. I keep it held down with giant wing nuts and washers. They've been on there for 6 yrs without a single problem, it's never come loose, viabrated, nor been messed with. You can get a little better idea in the 2nd pic. what the mounts look like without the jack in place. I have an isolator for the handle to prevent rattles.
DSC01041.jpg

Lights004.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I'm sort of wondering the same thing about the Yakima stuff. I have Yakima bars and would like to find something that clips around the bars that I can secure my Hi-Lift onto. Preferably something that is lockable too.

Does anyone make a simple device that can just be bolted onto the Yakima bars to use with the Hi-lift?

colodak

Adventurer
I have two pieces of steel channel, 4" long by 4" wide, drill a hole through the center of each one, get a bolt about 4" long, cut the head off. Run the bolt through the hole and weld it to the steel. Since your using Yakima bars, they are approximently 1" dia., get some 1" dia. U-bolts and nuts. Mark the location of the bolts on the steel and drill the appropriate holes. Clamp the steel to the bars with the u-bolts, use the 4" bolts to hold the hi-lift in place, mine is secured with very large washers and wing nuts. 8 yrs and still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman