yeasu ft-817nd antenna suggestions?

nismo4x4

Observer
Hello,

I have decided to put my qrp rig in the jeep. I am not real interested in HF mobile, may operate some 40M cw at camp...but not while driving, so I really only need maybe a dual or tri band (2m, 6m, and 440) antenna. I was also thinking of modding the radio so it would work on 11 meters with a firestick mounted on the jeep as well, that way I could clean up the interior with just the one radio. Any one have any experience with this type of radio in a mobile situation?

Thanks

gary in ohio

Explorer
Hello,

I have decided to put my qrp rig in the jeep. I am not real interested in HF mobile, may operate some 40M cw at camp...but not while driving, so I really only need maybe a dual or tri band (2m, 6m, and 440) antenna. I was also thinking of modding the radio so it would work on 11 meters with a firestick mounted on the jeep as well, that way I could clean up the interior with just the one radio. Any one have any experience with this type of radio in a mobile situation?

Thanks

I really doubt the 817 would hold up to mobile use in a jeep. Yaesu doesnt even sells a mobile mount. There is a 3rd party mount but it looks pretty weak. The low power on vhf and UHF would make it pretty weak unless your very near a repeater or simplex station, 6m would be pretty useless on FM with low power any 11m conversion would be illegal. If want a portable qrp radio its a nice radio, but leave it in the backpack. As for an antenna for 40m, a good old fashion dipole is the best, fling it over a couple of tree's. run it through a tuner if you want other bands.

xtatik

Explorer
Par Electronics "End-Fedz" are end fed 1/2 wave wires that radiate and hear very well. Dale also makes a multi-band QRP version (25w max).I have the monoband 20m (300w vers.) and 40m (100w vers.) I own and use them both and I'm very pleased. I also use the Transworld TW2010 , Adventurer and they make a lighter "Backpacker" version. It's much easier to deploy as a ground coupled vertical dipole. You can check reviews on E-ham.
Some linx:
www.transworldantennas.com
www.parelectronics.com/end_fedz.htm

Also, the Buddipole is popular, but I'm not sure why. For gadgeteers it may be great, but seems a hassle to rig and tune.

Last edited:

nismo4x4

Observer
I bought the 817 in place of an HT actually about a year ago. I had been reading the reviews and enjoy qrp so I went ahead and got it. The main reason I put it in the jeep was simply because I have it. Either that or a 202! I have a yeasu 1500 mobile (but its in my frontier)...anyway it seems to work well with the duck velcroed to the console in the jeep...and when we go camping I can work a little 40m cw!

I have a dipole made, i will probably through my tuner in my backpack as well.

Thanks for the reccomendations

Justin
KC8EMR

Tennmogger

Explorer
I've got an FT-857 that I take camping. Just got back in last night from a 3 day weekend in the Chattahoochie NF. I use a G5RV and a little LDG Z-11 tuner. The tuner is about the same size as the transceiver and I bungee cord them together and run them off a 12 v battery. I just throw a rock with string across the highest limbs I can hit at each end of the G5RV and get it 20 ft or so high in the middle. Works well.

Compared to the 20 m vertical whip on the front bumper (Pro-comm), the G5RV adds 3 or 4 S-units where it's pointing. Worked ME, IL, OH, IN, EA8AM on Tenerife in the Canary ISL, PI4DX Netherlands, RW2F Russia, and a couple of Spain. Heard lots of other Europeans but too much competition from the big guns here in USA.

With the QRP output, you'll have to pick and choose your contacts. CW is the way to go, and 'atta-boy' for using CW!!!!

BTW, I want to try PSK-31 from camp next time. I always have my laptop along anyway.

Bob WB4ETT

I bought the 817 in place of an HT actually about a year ago. I had been reading the reviews and enjoy qrp so I went ahead and got it. ...chop...

Justin
KC8EMR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman