ZIL 131H 6x6

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Good work. I know what it's like to hear it run the first time.

Not a fan of exhaust wrap. I've had bad experience with it. I find it holds too much heat in and leads to the pipes cracking. I just use stainless steel shielding where necessary.

Love the Blow Off Valve. Is that Greddy or something? That'll turn some heads! :D

antonmies

Heat insulation adds some heat stress to the pipework, especially if wrapped on mild steel or 304L stainless steel exhaust manifold. I don't think there will be any issues with the downpipe wrapping as the gases are colder and it has enough space to expand compared to short runner exhaust manifold for example.

The BOV is a Synapse Engineering designed Synchronic BOV, it's pretty much superior to any other design in response time.

Added some videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/HevosvoimaCom?feature=mhum#p/c/026E0DEBBC55EB57

antonmies

Had some oil leaks from between the intake manifold and block. It's flooding... Also it seemed that the oil return wasn't working properly, but it turned out that I had just put too thin oil to the cleaner. What a mess with the BOV spraying it all over.

A View in the darkness:
zil131158.jpg

I made some work with the fuel system. I fabricated a swirl pot and made a plate where everything is installed. Must say that this is the last time I use industrial fittings with performance stuff. Too much work there....

Some oil..., something Russian that is, LOL:
zil131159.jpg

zil131160.jpg

zil131161.jpg

Fuel system fabricating:
zil131162.jpg

Modifying AN -6

zil131163.jpg

Previous fitted to a 1/4" bung

zil131164.jpg

"done"

zil131165.jpg

zil131167.jpg

Had to install the thread socket inside because there would otherwise be some clearance issues in the other end of the box where everything is installed.

zil131168.jpg

Opening the socket due to part surface installation

zil131169.jpg

Return sockets tack welded

zil131170.jpg

zil131171.jpg

zil131172.jpg

I painted the fuel box from inside to get it lighter, as black walls made it pretty dark from the inside to operate. The paint I used is some CRC paint that does it all: ground, prevents rust and final/top finish, a real deal for a hasty guys...
I also made some restoration with the main breather can/oil fill thingy.
Then I had to make new gaskets for the intake manifold as I was stupid and went and installed "originals" that are some silicone rubber. Not very compatible with boost. Will install the new ones tomorrow.

zil131174.jpg

Marked the holes for drilling/machining

zil131175.jpg

hurr durr

zil131176.jpg

zil131178.jpg

zil131179.jpg

"Restorated" part

zil131180.jpg

zil131181.jpg

Pretty much the same color as the Russian tanks are from inside, perfect :D

Annoying gasket work.
zil131182.jpg

zil131184.jpg

zil131185.jpg

antonmies

Today I got the registration plates to the MAGNUM ZIL after last weeks inspection for registration. Damn it feels great!
During the past two weeks I've been quite busy, especially before the inspection as I had tons of "small and fast" things to do.
I made the water lines for the intercooler, reverse light switch that automatically switches the reverse light on (legal requisition), rear fender etc. to get it street legal.
We visited the Military surplus auction and during the way home, the oil from the filter and badly sitting silicone ment N/A ride home so I had to modify the throttle body a bit...

zil131186.jpg

zil131187.jpg

zil131188.jpg

zil131189.jpg

zil131190.jpg

zil131191.jpg

zil131192.jpg

zil131193.jpg

zil131194.jpg

zil131195.jpg

zil131196.jpg

Water fitting for the IC, made from a 90° piece.

zil131198.jpg

Reverse switch braket

zil131199.jpg

Sinking the 'thread rivets' head to the bracket.

zil131200.jpg

zil131201.jpg

zil131202.jpg

Finished and clears the original floor mats :cool:

zil131203.jpg

Being presented at the military surplus auction, plenty of interest and one guy said that he would have his Ural modified by us, what a magnificent project that would be!

zil131204.jpg

zil131205.jpg

Hasty finishing...

I will be taking some video and more pics now that everything is in it's place and functioning and not being so busy now that the thing is done, for now ;)
I will be making some throttle linkage modification also as there is a nasty step when starting to push the pedal and it's quite interesting to drive as it's hard to push just a bit and usually the throttle opens some 30deg when given too fast too much force after trying to gently push the pedal...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have that same throttle control problem on two new cars. Everybody is setting them up that way at the factory now. Stupid people test driving the cars think "Wow, this has lots of power, I just tough the gas and it spins the wheels!"

My Focus has an interesting setup. The throttle plate is bent, such that, only one side starts opening, the other side is shrouded and doesn't start opening until half-throttle. It drives really nice, especially now with the turbo. Very controllable.

I remember back in the day, my VW's had a special linkage, only one of the two plates opened at first, the second plate started opening after the half-way point.

Where did you get the water pump? Looks like the one I used for my Focus intercooler. It's from a Ford F-150 Lightning. And what are all those pumps in the box? Fuel pumps?

antonmies

Neuspeed even made a larger two stage throttle for the VW:s.
Today I adjusted the throttle a bit and it seemed that while the engine is running, there is the step so it might be a feature of the throttle body in vacuum conditions which would make it difficult to be fixed, but we'll see. I have some things in mind I will be doing about the problem.
The water pump is a Bosch brand and is used in MB, but as it's quite an universal part, it can be used in many places. Mine is for 19mm ID hose and free flow is 750lph. Nice and robust piece for about 40eur...

And yes, there is a swirl pot, coarse filter, pump and fine filter. Solenoids are there to return the fuel to the correct tank depending from which the fuel is taken. At this point I have only one tank operational...

Mamontof

Explorer
Some action

HI , great to see one of old Soviet monster rebuild and run as Lynx .:elkgrin:

Soon winter came , one of the trouble with Zil-131 you could have as fuel tank way to close to wheel base , some time wet snow or mud do not let turn wheels(or damage fuel tank ) (a specially if you drive whole day and left overnight with out proper cleaning that space between tank and tire ... )

I drive Kung ZiL-131 , and that my experience

Great magnificence sound of powerful engine I LOVED !!!!:wings::victory:

antonmies

I guess you mean the gap between the rear tire and tank?
I was wondering before if I should move the tanks to an upper location as it would give a nice clearance.

Glad you liked it. Here is an other: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNV6OZDi_94"]YouTube - ZIL 131 MAGNUM -jääkaapin jäljillä[/ame]
The "story" is that we are hunting for an evil refridgerator that poisons the food :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman