FYI- BAJA NORTE VIOLENCE.

Deleted Member 183

For surfers/ campers/ Baja explorers "in the know"...

Anywhere along the coast between the border and El Rosario de Arriba has been considered "no mans land" for remote camping since the late 80's! Almost every Baja "horror story" has happened in that stretch!

If you have to remote camp in that region:

Be out of view of any heavily traveled double track!

Keep to yourself. DO NOT party with locals ( mostly fishermen and low wage farm hands from the local huge co-op farms).

Travel with a scary big dog!

Make sure at least one in the group stays sober at night, and if locals pull into your camp... Pull out your Wrist Rocket and a load 3/8" ball bearing!

Most of the murders have happened when the campers were in view at night by "meth heads" that want your cash or something of value to trade for their next bindle. The best way to handle situations like this is make things go "sideways" for your intruders, before they make it go sideways for you!

The Federal Police in most cases are just curious. They have gotten quite professional in the last 20 years or so and want you to feel safe and welcome in Mexico. If you want to "get on their good side" at the check points, hand out pairs of well made socks (trumps old Playboy's now that they have the internet).

Last edited:

Deleted Member 183

This is my reply to Graeme Bell's story:

The cartel's (plural) will most likely murder the suspects whole families (the very youngest first so the elders, friends, and neighbors learn the cost of not teaching their children how to behave) The last thing these groups desire is bringing attention to their activities. It also would not surprise me if we soon learn that the suspects had died in their jail cells before getting arraigned!

onemanarmy

Explorer
This is my reply to Graeme Bell's story:

The cartel's (plural) will most likely murder the suspects whole families (the very youngest first so the elders, friends, and neighbors learn the cost of not teaching their children how to behave) The last thing these groups desire is bringing attention to their activities. It also would not surprise me if we soon learn that the suspects had died in their jail cells before getting arraigned!

good. hope so. maybe they'll finish each other off in one big circular firing squad.

hankgs

Adventurer
I have felt a sick feeling since this story broke almost a week ago about the "disappearence"... Then they found the burned out truck, blood stained tent and finally, the bodies of the 3 young men... I am so heartbroken and sad for the two families and their friends... I also shed a tear for myself as I will never beach camp on the Pacific side of Baja again... I may not take that remote road on the Sea of Cortez side and remote beach camp again either. Having just come back from the East Side of the peninsula and enjoyed the beauty and solitude, I thought about the vulnerability of it for a fleeting minute or two- now that has all sadly changed... I feel bad for the good people of Baja as this tragic and needless event will no doubt cause many not to visit, especially those who were "on the fence" about traveling down there, that will cost tourista dollars to many locals for at least a few years- This incident will be forgotten in a few, until another victim(s) arises to the public's knowledge. As a previous poster responded, I would not camp anywhere North of Guerro Negro on the Pacific side... The probability of bad players and activities are higher and higher... Really sad.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
As to this story on the EP Journal, this happened while "Overlanding" in the title. Wow, what puffery by admin, no report about those three mentions "Overlanding", give me a break!

BajaRunner

Bandito
Hwy 1 in the north is more dangerous than hwy 5

In what context? Hwy 5 was historically known for car jackings for years. A group of surfers were carjacked and left in the middle of the desert north of Gonzaga Bay just 2 summers ago! In reality, the highways are way more dangerous in general. Much higher risk of injury or death driving those roads vs camping in the middle of cartel country alone.

I've personally witnessed cartel-like drug transfers from boat to car or vise versa on two occasions. Both locations were about 75 miles offroad in the middle of nowhere. Hearing car and boat engines fire up out of the blue and come screaming towards you out of nowhere is not a great feeling. Both times they simply acted like I wasn't even there and went along. Both times I packed up and left!

This particular incident is becoming much more obvious that it wasn't necessarily cartel but individual meth head scumbags. There is a quote from the girl who was arrested stating that they went to take the truck, but when the guys resisted, they ended up shooting and killing them all. This is being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Extremely horrifying.

As many other Socal surfers, I grew up visiting the area for weekend trips with my dad and going down with my friends later. For whatever reason, the place never felt that safe, I always got bad vibes from the fishing co-op on the point. My buddies told me they had stuff stolen from them in the middle of the night once, and then the last time I went, I woke up to flashlights and guys going through my stuff as well. I didn't say anything and they just left (not sure if they even took anything). That was over 10 years ago and have not had a desire to go back to that spot.

I own land in Baja and it's been my life since I was 2 years old, I will continue to go, but this stuff makes me sick and will always be on the back of my mind.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Isn't "overlanding" just camping /camping remotely? Do you need a Sprinter Van to be qualified as an "overlander"....? Just asking.
I laughed too, but EP has defined "Overlanding" and "Expedition" travels and no, camping isn't overlanding. Driving your pickup to a camping site is a poor definition, next, driving to the grocery store will be the next adventure.

It was a low swipe to get attention of this forum membership calling a surfing trip an overlanding event.

gator70

It seems the land owner was killed in the same way earlier and his body was found along the other three victims. This was a crime spree with the same criminals repeating the killings on more than one occasion. Getting caught up in something like this is not a common occurrence to fear this reoccurs often. And the stupidity of the criminals to reuse the victims cell phone, lead to their capture. Did you notice how smart the Mexican authorities were to charge the criminals with kidnaping. Unlike US law enforcement would do. By charging the criminals with a oblivious and evidence available crime they can get a conviction easily. Buying the authorities more time to collect evidence of the murders. And in some cases authorities just lack convincing evidence for the act of murder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78