Dangerous Timbren Suspension Issues…. Symmetry Brand Trailers unable to remedy, please help…

dxtremist2

Hello, (quick version bare with me)

We have a fairly new Symmetry Brand custom overlanding toy hauler trailer with less than 10,000 miles driven with it. We’ve had nothing but problems with the build since day one unfortunately. The builder, Symmetry Trailers (Wyoming), refuses to help remedy the situation after several attempts and them having the trailer in their possession for 1 year in total on 2 separate occasions to fix the warranty issues. Still eating tires, very very dangerous.

We’ve had several high speed blow outs on highways, and 5 tires replaced already due to uneven wear due to off set cambre. We found that they installed the wrong size Timbren suspension on our rig, yes they put the smaller weight load suspension on our 5000# when loaded trailer. Thus causing camber to be off and the uneven wearing of tires.

My question to the communty is? Should we upgrade to the proper size Timbren Axle-less Suspension or just go straight axle instead?

How is Timbren performing for others when installed properly and with the correct size? And when it’s not installed by incompetents ;) thanks for letting me vent. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

hooptycrawler

I don't have any experience with the timbren stuff first hand but based on how it looks, to cause that severe of camber wear it would have to be installed incorrectly. To me that suspension should cycle straight up and down so loaded or not should have no effect on alignment. Or someone correct me if I'm wrong? Another possibility is the toe alignment on the trailer is off causing the tire wear. Have you made sure the tires are rated for enough weight too? If you have any pics of the tires that might help too.

Ask them if they would like to repair it, buy it back, or hire a staff attorney to represent them in court. Seeing their name on ruled and numbered paper often helps folks make informed decisions.

Look in to federal and state RV lemon laws.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It seems Timbren suspension is very prone to becoming out of alignment with minimal use. My trailer has a Timbren and needs another alignment after just sitting for the winter. .

dxtremist2

I don't have any experience with the timbren stuff first hand but based on how it looks, to cause that severe of camber wear it would have to be installed incorrectly. To me that suspension should cycle straight up and down so loaded or not should have no effect on alignment. Or someone correct me if I'm wrong? Another possibility is the toe alignment on the trailer is off causing the tire wear. Have you made sure the tires are rated for enough weight too? If you have any pics of the tires that might help too.
It’s installed incorrectly yes, the issues are due to incorrect weight load of the product.

They should’ve gone the next size up. Looks like the 3500# axleless suspension installed on an almost 5000# trailer.

We are in the process of fixing ourselves, done with Symmetry for now. Just wondering how others are doing with their Timbren suspensions. Or if we should just go straight axle. Trying to make our build right and safe.

dxtremist2

It seems Timbren suspension is very prone to becoming out of alignment with minimal use. My trailer has a Timbren and needs another alignment after just sitting for the winter. .
Ok this is good to know. How big is your trailer?

dxtremist2

They also sent us out the door with under rated C load tires. We have since upgraded to E.

hooptycrawler

How have you verified it's installation? Have you done any kind of alignment checks or anything? I'm just not seeing how loading it up would cause edge wear to the tires. It not saying it's not the wrong stuff but there may be more going on.

Alloy

These are the Timbren STI axle rod/bushing off my trailer after 5000miles.

Timbren in their wisdom they decided to use dry (no grease/oil) composite bushing with a seal ONLY on one side.

The iron (rust) oxide acted as a grinding compound on both the axle rod and bushing.

Other than selling me new parts Timben was NO help finding a long term solution.

The last picture shows the bronze bushings I installed along with a grease zerk for each busing.

If anyone knows someone with Timbren STI axles show them these pictures.

762DEAF1.jpg

Outboard Bushing

90901B27.jpg

Inboard Bushing

68F1EAFC.jpg

20230418_130057.jpg

dxtremist2

How have you verified it's installation? Have you done any kind of alignment checks or anything? I'm just not seeing how loading it up would cause edge wear to the tires. It not saying it's not the wrong stuff but there may be more going on.
We are in touch with Timbren now waiting to confirm if the wrong size suspension was installed when built by Symmetry Trailers, hopefully will know by tomorrow.

Had to get photos off the stamping on the top of axles because Symmetry refuses to provide build receipts. Alignment/cambre was really off we added some spacers/washers and a new tire when we got to Alaska on our maiden voyage.

Then It eventually got an alignment but because the Timbren is made for a smaller trailer we suspect the spacers and alignment are only a temporary fix. Attaching photos of the suspension with less than 10,000 miles on it. Thanks all for your advice. We appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpeg
    IMG_9676.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9669.jpeg
    IMG_9669.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

dxtremist2

Does anyone know of a decent trailer repair shop that could possibly change us out to a straight axle in the Midwest if we decide to switch types. We are in Chicago.

I really like the ride and handling of the Timbren (now that it’s somewhat aligned) and how it feels at highway speeds. Just not sure if it’s worth the headache of installing the heavier weighted model vs a straight axle.

Planning on riding up to the Artic Circle this year, it’s a permafrost gravel road for about 1200 miles out and back so we need this thing right. Safe and installed properly. Not dealing with the incompetents at Symmerty any longer. They’ve had it a year and it’s still jacked up.

simple

Adventurer
No experience with Timbren axles but any cantilevered beam will deflect when force is applied. If the unit is undersized for a given load, It would deflect out of alignment when loaded.

Alloy

Good grief. I've been using Dexter torsion axles for twenty years and find them a great ride with no issues.

Tony

STI is independent which is better but STI mechanical design and Timbren customer service is a disaster. After 3-4 requests they let me talk to the engineer at Timberen about possible solutions. After 1 converstaion he ghosted me so I came up with my own solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78