Our Global Expedition Vehicles Adventure Truck

rruff

Explorer
Still think someone could make that and sell it for around $300,000. If it was carbon fiber, you could even put it on a 350.
The shell is only a tiny fraction of the weight on one of these... it's truly a pittance. And CF didn't stand up to my "whack it with a sledgehammer" test as well as FG. CF is great if you need something to be stiff, but that usually isn't an issue on these.

I've been liking the 450 and 550 more, since the cost of the truck is about the same, and they turn better, have a wider track, more wheelbase options, etc. Also I think the cheap and simple pivoting thing I made for mine works well, so the C channel frame isn't a problem and has better articulation. If you keep your rear axle weight to ~8k lbs you can use 37-40" tires and get a better ride and MPG than the military tires. Suspension options, I'm not sure about...

Steve_382

The shell is only a tiny fraction of the weight on one of these... it's truly a pittance. And CF didn't stand up to my "whack it with a sledgehammer" test as well as FG. CF is great if you need something to be stiff, but that usually isn't an issue on these.

I've been liking the 450 and 550 more, since the cost of the truck is about the same, and they turn better, have a wider track, more wheelbase options, etc. Also I think the cheap and simple pivoting thing I made for mine works well, so the C channel frame isn't a problem and has better articulation. If you keep your rear axle weight to ~8k lbs you can use 37-40" tires and get a better ride and MPG than the military tires. Suspension options, I'm not sure about...
If you could keep the rear weight down is the key. Seems like everyone is building something that is at least 15,000 pounds right now though. I think there are some options for single rear wheels finally, and being able to run tires you can get at Discount Tire would sure be nice. Evidently Truck House still thinks they can use a 3500 on the BCR and 27North is still using the 350 for the RexRover. Would love to see a CAT scale readout for both of them.

rruff

Explorer
Evidently Truck House still thinks they can use a 3500 on the BCR and 27North is still using the 350 for the RexRover. Would love to see a CAT scale readout for both of them.
Considering that TH started on a Tacoma, and 27N was on a F150, I hope they have a wee bit of margin now. I don't know about 27N but it looks like TH is using a C&C with a open C frame and have a spring loaded subframe. They could have easily used a 450...

The super singles aren't cheap, but not hard to get. I'd guess a stock C&C 450 would easily have <3k lbs on the rear axle, so you could add 5k+, and if the CG of your load is well in front of the rear axle you could have quite a bit more. I'm thinking of this as a viable alternative to a 350, but if you want to push the GVWR of a 550, then it's in another category and you'll need the military tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater