02 or 03 LC 100 for exped use?

Hello everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker here, but just registered to post a question. You guys have a top-tier board from what I have seen. I could use your help.

I am going to be getting a 100 series, but I need some input about which year to go for. I've been searching on "Ihatemud" and looked here, but haven't found enough to make a decision.

I'm looking at an 02 or 03. I like the 03 overall for the added creature comforts, reduced road noise, new transmission, and little add-ons. I would go for it if I was not going to rely on it for an exped/bug out trip. But sone major things concern me:
First, the AC. It is controlled (along with a few other items) by the navigation system, which is a pricey piece of gear to replace (if it can be sourced on a long trip). I've been hearing complaints about it failing and leaving you without AC control until you get it fixed.

Second, the "Drive-by-Wire" upgrade. I haven't heard much about it, but am wondering if this also could be an issue while out on a trip.

Should I be too concerned about them? What input do you guys have?

hoser

Explorer
I have not heard of any problems with the '03+ drive by wire system. For the added benefits of the '03 over the '02, I'd be willing to accept that added risk. But like Calarmari said, I guess it really depends on how far and how long you are going to be away from getting a repair if a failure were to happen.

I do "think" it is possible to swap in a non-navi climate control system but have yet to see anybody do it. Most of the other 100's in the world came with no navi . There are also US '03+ 100 that came w/o navi but they are quite rare.

Thanks for the input guys. I picked this one up today. An 04 with 54k certified, platinum warranty. I know that might be a little over doing it, but I've been down the "no warranty" repair road before. Much rather have it and never need it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=242700637&photoIndex=0

I was able to use google/mx to see what the non-nav head units are like. I will see if I can source one later on when the warranty get's close to expiring. If anyone is down there, and want's to pick one up for me, I'll jump on that.

As for where this rig will take me... I own/work in the security industry, and would like to gear it up for a long-term disaster situation like Katrina, or the "big one" that's supposed to shake California. I'd eventually like to have it ready for a year or longer situation. Not that I'm expecting the sky to cave in or any thing... :peepwall:

You all have been very helpful already, there is a wealth of knowledge here. It's hard to find a good group that has "been there, done that". Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on mechanical issues to watch for in my scenario above? Spare parts to have?

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
oh the bling! the bling!:violent-smiley-031:

nice choice... except those wheels are kinda pimp for exped/offroad.

Glad you went for the 04, i think the interior and tranny, vvti all make for a worthy upgrade

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Nice find! Those wheels will likely not look very nice after a few days in dirt/rocks/mud/sand etc....sell 'em while they're still pretty and put some nice new rubber/wheels on her....

-H-

DBS311

Adventurer
What kept me away from the '03 and up models was the reported inability to run larger aux tanks because a large charcoal canister was in the way (IIRC). I'm sure something could be done to move it to a new location, but I didn't want to bother with it. That, and the fact that I couldn't find a 2003 or higher without the Nav, which I didn't want.

Yea, haha! Look at that bad boy! I'm going to have to turn my hat sideways and start using such terms as "Yo homie" and "Fo shizzle, my nizzle".

I'll probably wear the tires out a little more, and then sell the rims. It looks less "gansta" in person, lol.

I'll look into that fuel tank issue, that's one thing I'm interested in doing.

Edit to add: Here is the photo of the head unit mentioned above. It looks like both the top and bottom are different.

http://www.autos-usados.autoplaza.com.mx/autos/toyota-land-cruiser-2006~idA6255582.asp

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not to be chicken little but there have been a couple issues lately with the 5-speed auto durability. Hopefully just a fluke. Or maybe because the '03's have gotten down to the price of off-road rigs folks are finally pushing them a little harder? Keep that extended warranty active!

Someday I had plans to upgrade to an '06 or '07. But the few (that I know of) 5-speed tranny issues and overall electronic complexity have me questioning just what I will get next...

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:
What kept me away from the '03 and up models was the reported inability to run larger aux tanks because a large charcoal canister was in the way (IIRC). I'm sure something could be done to move it to a new location, but I didn't want to bother with it. That, and the fact that I couldn't find a 2003 or higher without the Nav, which I didn't want.

The aux tank was one of my concerns as well. I would ask Christo what he recommends. http://www.sleeoffroad.com

hoser

Explorer
allthatremains03 said:
Edit to add: Here is the photo of the head unit mentioned above. It looks like both the top and bottom are different.
It might be of some value to you to know the LC's sold in Mexico did not have Navi. Now finding a wrecked one at the junk yard? That might be difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal