1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton and diesel vs. gas

sargeek

Adventurer
Still trying to figure out my next vehicle. At this point I think it would be a Dodge Power Wagon with a Flip Pack. Need to hual the wife, two kids (2 & 7), + two dogs ( Lab & Newfoundland). We will have a small pop-up for long term family camping which I will be upgrading to small hardsided trailer sometime. I currently have a Tacoma, but if I upgrade the trailer, I do not think the V6 will have engough power to pull it comfortably in the mountains.

I can deciede if I want to go with a gas motor in a Power Wagon, or go with a diesel, and get extended expedition range. You can also aftermarket a truck with a small lift, locking differentials, and a winch and get a Power Wagon wanta-be less the sway bar disconnect.

I guess I would like a 1/2 ton diesel, power wagon.

So what help and direction can you give me.

4WD School

Adventurer
3/4 ton

People will have varying opinions, but here is mine. The half ton pick ups will be gas and have IFS front axles. And, that's OK for occasional use on mild trails or moderate dirt roads.

I can live with the gas engines. (Cheaper, quiet, but less gas mileage) But, I prefer a solid front axle.

3/4 ton trucks will get you the carrying capacity to haul whatever you want, they typically have solid front axles (US manufacturers), and the diesel gets better mileage.

My personal plan is to get a 1996-1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins engine. Regular cab and an 8 foot bed. (No kids or dogs) Then I'll put an FWC pop up camper on it.

Its a balancing act between cost, capacity, and offroad use. :smiley_drive:

Prybry

Adventurer
PW all the way...

I went through the same debate myself...
Went with the Power Wagon for the following reasons:
1) Gas works better than diesel in cold MN
2) I did the math and the diesel wasn't any cheaper at the current price
3) Full skid plates.. parts you can't buy and put on a normal Dodge
4) The only thing different between the PW and 3500 is the rear springs, so I added a pair of air bags to make up for it and keep the nice Hwy ride.
5) factory warranty on off road parts!

I don't regret the decision...
The only want I do have is for more back seat room, but only when I'm riding there:ylsmoke:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I recommend pre-2007 for diesels. I also wouldn't buy new.

No matter what you choose in a full size, get out and drive one first, even if you have to rent one. Some people, especially come significant others, don't dig on driving a full size 4 door truck around in traffic, parking it, etc.

What the USA needs is more mid-size diesel options with stout drivetrains.

WoldD90

Adventurer
How long do you plan to keep the truck? Do you normally keep trucks for a long time? Do you need a pick or a SUV? Will this be a daily driver?

Any chance you will expand your family?

After figuring out your budget, I would get the best truck you can for the money.

sargeek

Adventurer
The majority of the family is done, but we will replace dogs as necessary.

Off road vehicles we have owned:
Ford Bronco (Sold at 160,000 miles)
Nissan Hardbody SE-V6 (Sold at 150,000 mile)
Jeep TJ (Still own, but selling next week at 175,000)
Izuzu Trooper (Sold at 160,000)
Toyota Tacoma

So when I buy my next truck, I guess I will own it for 10 years, and drive the hell out of it.

For work I have driven 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks in all sort of conditions. I don't have a problem with the size, but they are not my wife's favorite. My Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport - Is the length of a GM 1/2 ton.

I was also thinking about a 3/4 ton Suburban, but after posting here a while back, I think a FS pick-up with a flip pack makes better sence, and more veristile.

I just keep going round and round about diesel vs gas, and 1/2 vs. 3/4.

Terrainist

Explorer
Take into account how much time you will be off pavement driving, lighter works better. If you tend to get to your spot and stay there a few days versus driving all over the place on dirt roads, how much gear you want to haul, etc.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I hate to say how much lost sleep on this very decision. Well almost, as I tried a F150 briefly, and decided quickly I needed/wanted beam axles- so diesel vs gas. I have a PW with a FP and love it, too much probably. And I have a '83 2500 Suburban with 45k on it- honestly, great find. Love it as well- strong and simple, 350 carb w/ headers that runs great!! I also have had numerous diesels. Bottom line the diesels are great but demand a premium going in, and command a premium at selling time, although not an equal premium. The PW surrenders about 5mpg, but is way quieter- especially compared to a 12 valve. Also, a good bit lighter on the front end. In the end, I sacrificed the 5mpg, but got much better performance every where except cruising at highway speeds(just mpg actually- but the diesel suffers more above 70mph). The PW is amazing at a lot of different things- but only if you use it at those things. The 'burb was going to be a Cummins project, but again the math does not warrant it. I have not lifted it or modified it except a thorough tune up, nonrestrictive air cleaner and headers. Runs great and decent improvement in mpgs- and for the cost of the cummins, adaptors, etc, I can buy several small block 350s. We have two kids as well, so the 'burb is the DD, and the PW is fun, trips, work horse IF needed, and did I mention fun :).
It is truely all a trade off, but the 'burb cost less than the diesel option on a 2500 truck, keeps the miles off the PW, and is a hoot as well. I think I have finally reached sleeping at night again...
and the Rovers are dwindling away, but will always keep one, or maybe a second w/ a diesel as well... I need some sleep!!

Off Duty

Adventurer
How long do you plan to keep the truck? Do you normally keep trucks for a long time? Do you need a pick or a SUV? Will this be a daily driver?

Any chance you will expand your family?

After figuring out your budget, I would get the best truck you can for the money.

The majority of the family is done, but we will replace dogs as necessary.

....For work I have driven 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks in all sort of conditions. I don't have a problem with the size, but they are not my wife's favorite....
I was also thinking about a 3/4 ton Suburban, but after posting here a while back, I think a FS pick-up with a flip pack makes better sence, and more veristile...

The questions posed above are the things you need to consider.

You sort of answered your own questions in the next post:coffeedrink:

Smaller family-need less room for people hauling.
Dogs can go in the covered back regardless of what you end up with.

Not your wifes favorite?
Is she going to do a fair amount of driving? If so, you need to bring her wishes into the equation. If momma ain't happy, "ain't nobody" happy!

Decide what you really want to do with the vehicle?
What will be the "primary" use for the truck?

People hauling? Camping?
An all in one enclosed rig is a lot more useful (IMO) for camping and packing securely, than most any pick up. I don't have to get out of the truck if i want to crawl into the back and nap:)

Unless you want to squeeze through a pass through, that's not going to happen with a pick up.

Or, do you presently haul a lot of stuff? (Firewood, parts, mulch, etc, etc?)
If so, then a pick up is probably more useful to you.
Put the topper on it and you have a place to stay.

With a Burb or similar vehicle, it has a fixed roof. Sometimes, that's just not what you need.

You can always rent a pickl up for special needs if the cons outweigh the pros of pick up ownership.

Gas v. Diesel?
Again, personal preference, but I'd think about total ownership costs (maintenance, etc) vs. gas.
I'd consider the loiads I was planning on hauling.
Heavy hauling, I think I'd go diesel.

Smaller loads (boats, small RV's), I'd probably go gas.

IFS vs. Straight?

Again, consider the uses?
Serious off roading or casual to medium Off Raad?

Good luck with your decision.:coffee:

sargeek

Adventurer
Thanks for the input --
I guesss my definition use would be "Tough Touring Vehicle"

Thanks again for all the input!

poriggity

Explorer
It's a conundrum for sure. When I bought my truck, it was primarily going to be used to tow my rock crawling jeep, so I went 3/4 ton Diesel Dodge Ram. I have since sold the jeep, and have started to convert my Diesel truck into an expedition vehicle. While I love the truck, if I was starting over, and was making the decision that you are, I would go with a Power Wagon in a heartbeat, and not think twice. I love the Cummins motor, but it's a HEAVY truck, and doesn't come with any real skids, or sliders, or a winch to speak of.
Scott

dragogt

Adventurer
3/4 diesel, but then I'm biased...

but a diesel will have better power and mpg vs a comparable gas truck..

Humvette

Adventurer
I would go with a Deisel all the way!!! I love my 2007 Ford F350 King Ranch CC LB Dually FX4. I got a crazy deal on it too. Road manners are great. I use it for a highway hauler. I have a lifted Hummer H1 for offroad. The way i figure it you will always sacrifice something if you put it all in one. For example the Hummer is amazingly capable, but has a hard time driving at 65mph. The KR is great on the highway. Good mileage and my fiance sleeps like a baby in it. I get places i want faster. I have a 100gal transfer tank in the back so i can drive from Houston to Denver and back with out filling up. I did an expo trip to the rockies and i was exhausted by the time i got there. I was constantly nervious about hurting the Hummer and getting stranded. While drive there in comfort and offroad like crazy then just pull up on the trailer and drive home. I know this is not overlanding. I would overland more if i lived closer to great offroading. Houston does not seem to have too much for me so i have to drive long time...

The fiance promises me we will do more pure overlanding, but i need to make the hummer more comfortable :victory: But until then it is a trailer rig :wings:

Terrainist

Explorer
Yes, that's a downside of the diesels. Maybe 'the' downside. Their freakin' heavy. As in not nimble, off pavement nimbleness is needed for some degree of comfort. But.. talk about a mile eating, unrelenting, good mpg's getting powerhouse of reliability - doesn't get any better. Makes the gas burners feel like a disposable lighter, use it up and throw it in the trash.

However, some diesels are more nimble than others. Get a nimble one if you can, usually means more money for a more up to date rig. I bought a 1st gen diesel because the entry level price was within budget. And they are a bastion of reliability (it never stops). But it will rattle your kidneys right out, no joke. So, new Alcans, more money, etc. And slow way down on the washboard in the mean time is the remedy. It cruises 70 mph 24/7 on pavement.

Ultimately, I would still always go diesel. Ever since owning one that's all I've ever wanted to own. Most of anyones driving is on pavement, and they just chew it up and spit it out while hauling the whole world and getting great fuel economy. And then there's the reliability again, I can't kill mine! It just will not die.

If I were to own two trucks, one would be a light little toyota and the other would be a diesel. But if I had to own one, and I do, it would be the diesel. It's more versatile and capable, just as reliable and gets the same fuel economy as far as I'm concerned.

Fuel economy and fuel options are a deal breaker. I view the gas burners as a liability anymore, unless it gets 20 mpg on a bad day and has a modern gas delivery system (computerized fuel injection). But even then, unless I thought I could brew alcohol and my gas burner would take it... my old diesel will burn just about anything with a carbon atom. When fuel hits 4 dollars a gallon, people will be scrambling to figure out how to sustain running their trucks. When it hits 5 dollars a gallon, the trucks will be staying home with a for sale sign on them unless a person can come up with a cheaper fuel source. Unless of course, one has the money and it's not an issue. I'm poor, got to have the good fuel economy and the fuel options.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism