12 VDC Plug

White Dog

This getting old isn't for the faint of heart!

I could have sworn that I saw an article on the Portal that described a 12 VDC plug and jack that was much more stout than the standard 'cigarette lighter' jack. I think it was even a DIN standard. For the life of me, I can't find it. I searched for half-an-hour I was so confident it was here. No luck. Either I am the worst user of the search engine in the world or I really am getting a little dotty.

Can anyone point me to the article?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Blue Sea makes a nice one and Marine Products has a nice capped unit as well.

I run the Bluesea ones more often than not:

outlets.jpg

White Dog

Thanks Kurt!

I've used Blue Sea products in the past. They are first rate. However, the standard plugs are only rated to 15 amp and I was looking for 20 amp capacity. I do like the twin USB plug. That is in my future for sure.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks Kurt!

I've used Blue Sea products in the past. They are first rate. However, the standard plugs are only rated to 15 amp and I was looking for 20 amp capacity. I do like the twin USB plug. That is in my future for sure.

I've used that twin-USB plug, I've been well pleased with it. Beats all the other 12V-to-USB adapters hands down, IMHO.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I'm Also a fan of the Blue Seas USB plug.

I've also ordered the Blue seas Locking Ciggy plug.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...91405026&sr=1-2&keywords=blue+seas+12v+socket

But have yet to put it into use.

In My experience it is the plugs, not the receptacles which fail first.

Steel spring steel is not the best conductor but is what pushes against the walls of the receptacle. After many heating cycles these springs lose their bite, and the Tip spring pushed the plug out of the receptacle, and then things really heat up. Usually the spring in the plug melts into the plastic.

Look at the discolored and crushed coil spring here, and note the melted plastic.
012copy_zpse14190f3.jpg

The Blueseas plug is made better, but Not rated for 20 amps
033copy_zps741af5b0.jpg

They are designed to have wires inserted into them without soldering, and the tip spring does not touch plastic.
030copy_zps04221655.jpg

I was going to use it for my Laptop DC to DC converter which kept wasting plugs. I was able to rejuvenate the latest failed plug with some tweaking and filing teeth into the ground springs so that it cannot easily back out of the receptacle.

I'm moving to Anderson powerpoles for everything 7 amps and over. The Ciggy plugs just have too much voltage drop over them and are too prone to failure. I can reduce the voltage drop by .25v just by pushing the plug deeper into the receptacle.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I agree, Anderson powerpoles are the way to go. That's what I mainly use - and their distribution blocks are the bomb. This one even has USB on it.

RR-4004U_xlrg.jpg

lysol

Explorer
For anything up to 20 amps that requires a solid and waterproof connection, I use Amphenol connectors/plugs. Here they are on my Pelican Case project. 3-prong for AC power and 2-prong for DC power.

IMG_2956_zps9152627f.jpg

IMG_2957_zpse69d1885.jpg

IMG_2958_zps6ab0d69f.jpg

IMG_2967_zps2a03def3.jpg

IMG_2970_zps9859f4ec.jpg

White Dog

Thanks all!

I have used Amphenol for years on the electronics stuff I worked with before I retired and my brother put me on to the Anderson connectors which is where I think I'll end up. I am still perplexed about where I saw the article. I did some more nosing around on the web and I think the article may have been talking about the BMW type plug.
BMW Plug.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Is that called the Hella Plug?

Yes. Many manufactures use them OE on their accessories such as National Luna and ARB fridges. They include an adapter 'ring' to utilized the same cord in a standard 12V 'cigarette lighter' outlet. The Hella offers a better connection and more positive engagement.

cruiseroutfit

After having problems with the cigarette type plugs on my fridge vibrating loose on rough roads I got looking around and found a plug like this.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Conn...tric-Trolling-Motor-Accessories/104312880.uts

Has worked great no matter the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Engel uses something similar for their 12V fridge connections, called Posi-Fit. Very nice engagement, if they were more commonly available over here I would utilize them for other accessories.

There are a couple of more choices beside from the (good) Amphenol stuff at a fraction of the costs- as we remember if it is painted olive it costs three times more than average:

the Neutrik Powercon
http://www.leab.eu/en/products/system-accessories/plugs-and-sockets/neutrik-powercon.html

the Mag code system
http://www.leab.eu/en/products/system-accessories/plugs-and-sockets/magcode-power-system.html

and last but not least the NATO plug if you need to transfer really high currents:
http://www.leab.eu/en/products/system-accessories/plugs-and-sockets/nato-plugs-and-sockets.html

all these systems are very well known in europe- the mag code is the new standard in the leisure industry.

White Dog

Jeez, these are all good leads (pun intended). I can think of different applications for them all. I ordered and received a Blue Sea double USB port. As with all things Blue Sea, it is very nicely made. Even if it is a bit pricey, I'll bet it lasts a lifetime.

The only plug that seems to be constantly criticized is the old fashion cigarette lighter type. Odd that it has become the 'standard'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3