12k synthetic line???

leverett

Observer
does anyone have a 12k winch with synthetic line if so what diameter is it, and what weight is it rated for? i am resaeching for synthetic line but cant find any website that says what diameter is rated for at least 12k

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Since you have a 12k winch (according to your signature) I would suggest a line rated to at least 18k, such as 3/8ths Master-Pull basic winch rope, or 3/8ths AmSteel Blue. A stronger and more durable option is Master-Pull 5/16th's Superline (or Superline XD) rated at 21,000lbs.

A good thing to remember is that not all ropes are created equal, cheap knockoffs are being created around the world today, the fibers they are made out of are not as durable or as strong as a genuine SK75 Dyneema that all of the ropes we sell are made out of.

-Alex

w squared

Observer
Since you have a 12k winch (according to your signature) I would suggest a line rated to at least 18k, such as 3/8ths Master-Pull basic winch rope, or 3/8ths AmSteel Blue. A stronger and more durable option is Master-Pull 5/16th's Superline (or Superline XD) rated at 21,000lbs.

A good thing to remember is that not all ropes are created equal, cheap knockoffs are being created around the world today, the fibers they are made out of are not as durable or as strong as a genuine SK75 Dyneema that all of the ropes we sell are made out of.

-Alex

+1 on that. Engineer the failure points in your recovery system. I run 3/8" synthetic rope on a 9500 pound winch - although for my use, 5/16" would be fine. For a bigger winch like yours, 3/8" line would be the smart choice.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I have a 12k Warn and its loaded with Master-Pull 3/8th's Superline. I've always received great service from M-P and they are usually the first place I look for winch lines.

The newest winch line in our family is my father's XD line which makes it the third M-P line we've bought.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/ supplied me with 90' of 7/16" rope for my 12K winch on the Power Wagon. I chose the Safety Thimble over the other options - having used one extensively on my Taco, I prefer it over a hook or thimble. While the 3/8" rope is plenty strong, I wanted the extra strength of the 7/16 @ 21,500 MBS.

Mark

w squared

Observer
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/ supplied me with 90' of 7/16" rope for my 12K winch on the Power Wagon. I chose the Safety Thimble over the other options - having used one extensively on my Taco, I prefer it over a hook or thimble. While the 3/8" rope is plenty strong, I wanted the extra strength of the 7/16 @ 21,500 MBS.

Mark

+1 on the safety thimble. I have one as well, and I don't think that I'll ever go back to a conventional hook or just a plain thimble. It's safer for your hands, it's more secure while pulling, and it's light weight reduces the danger if another part of the recovery system breaks loose.

You can also cut it off and re-do the eye splice to eliminate a damaged or broken chunk of synthetic line - not a fun thing to do with steel cable.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I have a 12k Warn and its loaded with Master-Pull 3/8th's Superline. I've always received great service from M-P and they are usually the first place I look for winch lines.

The newest winch line in our family is my father's XD line which makes it the third M-P line we've bought.

This is what I like to hear!:)

-Alex

leverett

Observer
master pull looks graet exept for a couple down sides. 1. that you have to buy the chafe gaurd sepprately make me wonder if i can spool the line with the chafe gaurd on to protect the line before i can get a winch cover. 2. the hook, if it breakes is there a way to replace it or wil i have to use the factory hook or a d-ring?

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
master pull looks graet exept for a couple down sides. 1. that you have to buy the chafe gaurd sepprately make me wonder if i can spool the line with the chafe gaurd on to protect the line before i can get a winch cover. 2. the hook, if it breakes is there a way to replace it or wil i have to use the factory hook or a d-ring?

We include a 10 foot heat guard with every line (except the LCP) that is meant to go on the first wrap on the drum to protect the from the heat that is created when you winch out under power, you will see other companies marketing this as a chafe guard. We do not recommend using this 10 foot section of nylon webbing for a chafe or rock guard because it is easily torn and not thick enough to protect the rope.

I have yet to see one of our hooks break, but I am not saying it can't happen. I have seen a few hooks that have been run into objects that no longer spring shut, this is ok but the hook can come undone if you are not careful when you use it. You have a couple of options to solve this. The first is to run a hook like this, that has a removable link that you pound together:

big-46323-41899.gif

Another option is to cut your old hook off, buy a new hook and one of these connector links and pound it together:

big-45098-31594.gif

+
big-29377-25596.gif

Option three would be to call us up, send your rope back in and then we will splice a new hook onto the rope. You will lose approximately a foot of rope with this option though.

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk