16 tacoma smooth riding shocks? no lift wanted

gmtech

Observer
I have 16 Tacoma Off road double cab.

looking for smooth riding shock for fire roads washboard gravel light off road.
I do not carry much load. will not be putting heavy bumper on front. might step up from a 70 series tire to 75. but same wheels.
not looking to lift..

looking at fox anyone have experience. with long term durability of fox shocks in everyday driving?

BrennMan

Observer
I don't have a 16 but this is exactly what I'm looking to do. Add quality to the ride without height. I found fox 2.0 to be the answer.

I've driven other fox suspension in the past and can absolutely say the ride a world different. Albeit these were not 2.0 or on a Tacoma.
I don't have any first hand experience of long term durability/service intervals. Interested to hear the responses as well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The only thing I don't like about King is that you have to take the coilover off the truck to adjust ride height, and that they're not rebuildable.
They're not rebuildable? They are adjustable for ride height just like your Icons and FOX, jack up the truck to unweight them and turn the collar. I run FOX 2.5 IFP non-reservoir in front and 2.0 IFP non-reservoir also with OME Dakars in the back of my Tacoma and so far love 'em. They are a little under damped in the back for how I use them I think. Things get a little bouncy with bikes and the rack hanging off the back, but the ride without the bike rack is excellent.

king-coilover-adjuster-tool.jpg

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I definitely read that Kings are not rebuildable. But then again, I also read that King's coilovers must be removed to adjust height, and you've clearly proven that incorrect... Perhaps a call to the manufacturer would be a good idea for anyone in the market.

Lol. Poor research.

Clutch

<---Pass
The only thing I don't like about King is that you have to take the coilover off the truck to adjust ride height, and that they're not rebuildable.

Probably thinking about the Old Man Emu or Bilstein struts. Which will probably be fine for the OP. Coil-overs while can be fine tuned better...most likely be over-kill.

gmtech

Observer
cool thanks for the replies.
that being said.. nutnfancy's 1st kinda cool for the fox shocks!
I know in the past fox mountain bike shocks were great but needed rebuilt very soon.

DaveInDenver

Probably thinking about the Old Man Emu or Bilstein struts. Which will probably be fine for the OP. Coil-overs while can be fine tuned better...most likely be over-kill.
This is 100% right, Bilstein 5100 are very common upgrades and the strut must be disassembled to change ride height. You move a collar up and down the body, which is the lower spring seat. OME can't be adjusted like that but you can change coils to increase and decrease the rate and length, which is in effect going to change how high the suspension rides.

You can change coils on 5100 or any coil over to achieve fine tuning. I'm running 13" long, 600 lbs springs on my FOX front shocks and was able to lift about 2" without increasing the pre-load on the springs. Cranking more lift would only start to compress the springs more and more, resulting in less wheel travel and a harsher ride. If I want more lift a 14" long spring would get it or an increased rate, perhaps 650 lbs. My plan is a 14", 650# or 700# spring when I put a bumper and winch on, but for now the ride is good.

In any case, I would suggest 5100 and either reuse your factory springs or use a OME coil that is not designed for lift. Not sure which slot you'd use on the Bilsteins, but I think there is a zero setting to retain the factory ride height.

Clutch

<---Pass
Toytec makes an adjustable (on the vehicle) preload on the Bilstiens, yeah? Though for a little more money you can buy CO's with a rebuildable dampener.

If you're cheap dirt bag like me...and plan on keeping the vehicle for a lonnnng time...spend a little more now and get the rebuildable CO's. I have rebuilt my Camburgs twice...about every 100K miles or so. If you plan on ditching the vehicle in a few years...OME (originals) or Bilsteins will be more than fine. Dave made great suggestion of using your original springs.

Dave: I am running a 650# spring with my ARB...never felt the need for a winch in AZ, now in ID...feeling the need, will upgrade to a 700# spring.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Yeah, already have a winch. Just need a bumper to put it in. ;-)

Toytec does offer a kit to make the 5100 or some stock strut adjustable. The Trail Teams and TRD Pro I think can also be modified, with the red coils. Not the yellow TRD suspension, though.

It's basically a sleeve that fits over the shock and sits on the collar. They sell them as their Ultimate Coil-over. These are different than their BOSS kit. I think the way they do it requires there be some small amount of lift, though. Basically the thickness of the adjusting rings is how much over stock it's going to sit. I think the sleeve sits on the Bilstein set on it's lowest position.

ttafcs-6005.jpg

Last edited:

BrennMan

Observer
The ride quality difference of 5100s and Fox/Icon/Kings is night and day. I have 5100s on stock TRD coils and would not consider it a smoother ride than stock by any stretch of the imagination.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, already have a winch. Just need a bumper to put it in. ;-)

Toytec does offer a kit to make the 5100 or some stock strut adjustable. The Trail Teams and TRD Pro I think can also be modified, with the red coils. Not the yellow TRD suspension, though.

It's basically a sleeve that fits over the shock and sits on the collar. They sell them as their Ultimate Coil-over. These are different than their BOSS kit. I think the way they do it requires there be some small amount of lift, though. Basically the thickness of the adjusting rings is how much over stock it's going to sit. I think the sleeve sits on the Bilstein set on it's lowest position.

ttafcs-6005.jpg

Haven't had a winch since I lived in PA on my old F250, we used the crap out of it. AZ never felt the need...Idaho...though, back in snow country, and the mud is something else here. Had a couple close calls where I almost got myself into trouble.

Yep those are it.

The ride quality difference of 5100s and Fox/Icon/Kings is night and day. I have 5100s on stock TRD coils and would not consider it a smoother ride than stock by any stretch of the imagination.

It is a huge difference. Just another option if you don't want to spend a whole lot, and want something a little better than stock. OME has softer valved strut.

https://wheelersoffroad.com/product...emu-90021-nitrocharger-sport-front-strut-set/

DaveInDenver

Those OME softer compared to regular OME but still firmer than stock? I dunno if the problem is the stock suspension isn't soft enough and for me one reason the FOX rides so much better is that the truck doesn't wallow around anymore.

Clutch

<---Pass
Those OME softer compared to regular OME but still firmer than stock?

Yeah, I don't know. Don't have any personal experience with them.

I dunno if the problem is the stock suspension isn't soft enough and for me one reason the FOX rides so much better is that the truck doesn't wallow around anymore.

That is the nice thing about quality CO's...you can run them pretty hard and the truck still handles fairly well without getting overwhelmed. That and you can fine tune them to exactly how you want them.

(thinking out loud) The front staying at stock height is fairly easy to do, it is the rear that is a bit more difficult. Getting a live axle to ride smooth is well...you know. My Stepdads Fully independent suspension Highlander handles washboards better than my modded Tacoma.

Getting quality rear springs off the shelf usually adds height. Total Chaos does have a spring under kit, doesn't say if it adds height. Guessing it does. (running out the door...just kinda glanced at the specs)

Have to scroll down: http://www.chaosfab.com/2005-2014-Tacoma-Off-Road-Suspension-Accessories.html

TacomaRearMidTravel01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne