1986 Chevy Suburban-daily driver

azxc

Bought this 2 years ago with intention of expo'ing it out but alas finances/medical issues could not support it.

I replaced the engine shortly after buying it with a crate V8 350. Since then it has run solid. I upgraded to a 4 core radiator and it runs cool and strong.

Only mechanical issue is the power steering which is leaking. My mechanic told me it would cost about $300 to replace but i've beeb lazy and simply been putting in a 1/2 bottle of power steering fluid ever couple of months.

The seats are original and have seen better days. The headliner has custom adhesive which means i've stapled it all over to keep itfrom sagging.

I put on BFG All Terrain and they have about 15000 miles on them. The previous owners put on 4 inch lift with Rancho shocks.

The burb has currently 188k miles. It's been my family's daily driver and we've taken it camping multiple times and it's always been reliable.

My in-laws are giving us their 2004 burban and I can't justify have two of them.

Thanks-
B

intothewild

Adventurer
Can you send me some interior photos/engine shots to clbrowning@gmail.com

I am flying down to Phoenix on Friday. I only bought a 1 way ticket, planning on driving something back to Wa, I have been looking at Jeeps/4Runners, but also Tahoe/Suburbans. Would you feel confident hopping in it right now and driving it 1500 miles? I know the MPG is bad, but just how bad is it? Is it carb'd or tbi? I'm guessing carb'd which is kind of a negative for me, but I am still interested. Thanks!

azxc

I've driven my burb daily for the last 2 years with my 4 kids and would drive it cross country without hesitation.
I get about 12-14 mpg and it is carb'd.

I'll email you some pictures later today of the interior.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk