1989 VW Syncro (4WD) Doka TriStar

Canadark

Update 7/2/2015 -- SOLD

This is one of only 500 4x4 Syncro Tristars ever made. The Tristar model has a much nicer interior than the stock Doka: power steering, Captain's chair seats, heated drivers seat, extra insulation and sound deadening, padded dash, contoured rear seat, carpeted floors, sliding rear door windows, and four doors instead of only three.

Imported from northern Sweden to Canada several years ago. They don't use salt on the roads in northern Sweden so the body is in great condition.
The engine was changed from the stock JX 1.6TD to the AAZ 1.9TD in November of 2012 by Autospiel German Auto Specialty of Victoria BC.
A brand new AAZ long block was used for the conversion with many other new parts as needed, including a new turbo. We have all receipts for the conversion.

Only 6,400 miles on the new engine. 195,010 miles on body (313,839 kilometers)

In addition to that work, we have also added a AATransaxle driveline decoupler and a new slip-yoke drive shaft (truck has a locking rear diff), a new radiator, water pump, and stock oil cooler. Also added a Mocal remote oil cooler w/ thermostatic controlled sandwich plate. The plate only allows oil to flow to the cooler as needed.
The engine runs nice and cool even under heavy load.

Giles of Performance Injection (diesel injection pump "Master guru") built one of his "super pumps" for this TriStar along with matching injectors.
With the remote oil cooler and boost gauge recently added, the truck is ready for an intercooler and is set to deliver some serious power.

The previous owner had a real nice custom tonneau cover made for the rear bed (keeps the bed dry). She also had a backup camera installed which is nice, unfortunately whoever installed the monitor screwed it into the padded dash so there are some extra holes. We added a Rocky Mountain Westy front bumper w/brush guards for extra protection.

The Tristar has 15" Mefro wheels with LT215/75R15 BF Goodrich T/A tires that have very little wear.

It comes with the Swedish VW dealer front light bar and stock front bumper that were original equipment. There is also a set of rear door seals bought to have as spares.

The body is in excellent condition with one small dent in the passenger treasure chest door (fixable) and a dent in the rear roof area. (can only be seen standing in the bed) Very little rust anywhere on the truck, very tight and solid! Well maintained.

The vehicle is registered in British Columbia Canada, but being over 25 years old it will import into USA easily. (Be aware, there will be an import duty at the border, 2.5 percent of the sales price, usually) We can help with some of the paperwork but importing the vehicle is the buyers responsibility.

The TriStar is currently advertised on The Samba here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1794939

Contact me at clare dot moxley at gmail dot com for further information. Fly in to Cranbrook, BC (YXC) and drive her home.

Attachments

• VW TriStar 4X4.jpg
    VW TriStar 4X4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,346
  • Cargo area.jpg
    Cargo area.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 5,182
  • VW TriStar front.jpg
    VW TriStar front.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,760
  • Drivers side.jpg
    Drivers side.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 754
  • Folding gates.jpg
    Folding gates.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 5,131
  • Interior front.jpg
    Interior front.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 636
  • Seats 3 in back.jpg
    Seats 3 in back.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 5,105
  • AAZ diesel.jpg
    AAZ diesel.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 634
  • Undercarriage.jpg
    Undercarriage.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 5,091
Last edited:

uglybaby

Observer
Wow! Looks like a beauty. I don't suppose it has a working a/c? Maybe not important in your part of the world, but down here in the southeastern U.S. it makes life more pleasant... Good luck with the sale.

kmarshall

This is my custom title
How does the diesel do climbing hills (6 to 10% grades)? And what speed does it cruise at on the Freeway? Thanks!

Canadark

No a/c...none of the Dokas or TriStars came with air conditioning from Volkswagen. People have added aftermarket in-dash units like from Nostalgic AC www.nostalgicac.com

The TriStar happily cruises the highway at 60-65mph and could run faster if the current 15-inch wheels were changed back to the stock 14s. Good diesel grunting torque takes you up the hills but not speedily.

I'm going to add some photos of the treasure chest when I have a chance...for those of you not familiar with this feature, there is a lockable storage compartment underneath the truck for recovery gear or whatever you want to put there, in addition to what you've got in the cargo bed.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Man do I love VW double cabs, and it's soooooooo close to me. I'm not ready to buy but I'll check back when I am. Best of luck with the sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad