2-dr vs 4-dr wheelbase?

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
So, I'm looking into getting a Cherokee (not as a replacement, but an addition to the Explorer) as a cheap 4x4 (my 2wd Ex doesn't go as well as a 4x4 :Wow1:)... Living the apartment life makes it a little hard to do all my work, so I plan on just picking up a cheap Cherokee and beating on it... Now, to my question, is the wheelbase the same between the 2 door and 4 door models? Or is the 2 door a SWB like my Ex? I'd like to get into a LWB model if I could, but can't seem to find a 5-spd in them (unless it has the puny 2.5L)... Any help?

dms1

Explorer
Hey, I don't own a jeep, but I own a 85 4Runner (2 door) and a 99 4Runner (4 door) and I wish my 85 had 4 doors, it makes accessing cargo and gear much easier.

FWIW

ExpoMike

Hey, I don't own a jeep, but I own a 85 4Runner (2 door) and a 99 4Runner (4 door) and I wish my 85 had 4 doors, it makes accessing cargo and gear much easier.

FWIW

Agree, having the 4 doors makes getting anything behind the front seats much easier. Additionally the 4 door, doors are shorter so you are need less room to open them in tight spaces. 2 door models have been known to crack the hinge mounts because of the extra weight and leverage of the longer doors. I also belive about '97-'98 they stopped making 2 door models.

2 door models look sexy though. :ylsmoke:

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I'd go 4door. For all the resons above if not also for some body strength...I think we have an extra pillar. Plus you know once you offroad all your friends will want a ride in the coolest XJ in TN! Big aftermarket support and keep looking for a 4.0 5-sp. I love mine and they should be plentiful.

Naxja.org might have some in your local scene

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Yeah, I'd much rather have a 4-dr... I hate trying to get people in the backseat of my Explorer... Just finding them around here with the 4x4, 4.0L, 5-speed options is difficult...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I decided today I'm going to go ahead and get a nice base platform instead of having to build the entire thing from scratch... Being that I have no place to work all my work will have to happen during the summer, and I need a good 4x4 before then... I figure I can afford ~$6000 ($4500 from the Camaro, $1500 for the Explorer)... I'd like to find someone who wants a straight up trade, instead of going through the hassle of selling and buying and whatnot...

ColoCherokees

Observer
I'd go 4door... Plus you know once you offroad all your friends will want a ride in the coolest XJ...

It's all personal preference, though. A 2-Door riding on 33" tires forces would-be back seat passengers to re-think their desire to tag along...a successful back-seat entry/exit in my XJ is approximately a 9.8 score in Olympic Gymnastic competition. Often times I'm glad that only one other person can comfortably ride with me.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I like how the 4 door lets you throw stuff in the back seat easily. With the back seat folded down, it's like having 3 access doors to your big cargo area.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
It's all personal preference, though. A 2-Door riding on 33" tires forces would-be back seat passengers to re-think their desire to tag along...a successful back-seat entry/exit in my XJ is approximately a 9.8 score in Olympic Gymnastic competition. Often times I'm glad that only one other person can comfortably ride with me.

I think it might actually be easier to get in the backseat of my Camaro than my 2-dr Explorer... I always have people tag along with me though (then again, when you're a college student and going somewhere, you'll do anything to not have to drive!)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design