2000 Chinook Baja 4x4...new to me Expo Vehicle...

jbsails

I bought this rare 2000 Chinook Baja 4x4 RV in August and am just finishing up my upgrade and dial-in. This is one of 3 Chinook RV's that were entered into the 2000 Alcan Winter Rally, a 4,500 mile road rally that takes its entrants from Seattle, WA to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and then south to Anchorage, a 9 day run. Dan Lukehart the Pres. of Chinook at the time did the rally driving and finished 16th out of 23 entrants. This was a prototype Chinook that was heavily modded for the race, and not designed to be sold to the public. I am not certain of anything but this early history and the late history, as I bought it from a seller in Wisconsin. He purchased it in Texas. I have found one other of the original 3 Alcan Baja's which is owned by a collector in Arizona. I am pretty stoked with this awesome vehicle and am looking forward to some great Baja trips and some Utah/Colorado/Montana Flyfishing adventures. I am trying to get it somgged here in &%3amn California...I just failed yesterday because I ONLY had two Catalytic Converters installed...it REQUIRES Three!!! Can you believe this State??

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg

IMG_7760.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I bought this rare 2000 Chinook Baja 4x4 RV in August and am just finishing up my upgrade and dial-in. This is one of 3 Chinook RV's that were entered into the 2000 Alcan Winter Rally, a 4,500 mile road rally that takes its entrants from Seattle, WA to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and then south to Anchorage, a 9 day run. Dan Lukehart the Pres. of Chinook at the time did the rally driving and finished 16th out of 23 entrants. This was a prototype Chinook that was heavily modded for the race, and not designed to be sold to the public. I am not certain of anything but this early history and the late history, as I bought it from a seller in Wisconsin. He purchased it in Texas. I have found one other of the original 3 Alcan Baja's which is owned by a collector in Arizona. I am pretty stoked with this awesome vehicle and am looking forward to some great Baja trips and some Utah/Colorado/Montana Flyfishing adventures. I am trying to get it somgged here in &%3amn California...I just failed yesterday because I ONLY had two Catalytic Converters installed...it REQUIRES Three!!! Can you believe this State??

View attachment 317354

View attachment 317355

View attachment 317357

View attachment 317358

Get an appt with a DMV referee. Something's not right. I've heard of multiple O2' sensors and two cats but three doesn't make sense. Nice setup bud!

jbsails

Get an appt with a DMV referee. Something's not right. I've heard of multiple O2' sensors and two cats but three doesn't make sense. Nice setup bud!

Regcabguy...Good call as I was given the number of a referee locally here in San Diego. The darn thing passed emmissions, but the Smog vendor said it would not pass because it required 3 Cats. Can you imagine?? This damn state!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
During the early 2000's some vehicles required a 3rd Catalytic converter for "light-off" or cold-running NOx control. As cat design got better (and O2 sensors and ECU software matched), they were able to drop the pre-cat again.

That said, if the vehicle was build for Non-California (Federal) use, I would think you'd be able to import it now as a transfer since it's more than a year old.

thethePete

Explorer
Yes 3 cats is a thing, no they're not trying to scam you.

They do it to avoid having to run EGR to reduce NOx emissions. The first 2 are monitored by the 02 sensors pre and post, the 3rd is unmonitored and serves to reduce NOx emissions. Ford did this on a lot of vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal