2000 E350 7.3 Help/Ideas

Hello, id like to tap into the millions of miles of e350 and 7.3 knowledge on here. Im in Tucson.

2000 e350 7.3 Super duty passengers 168k miles

I got the van in Dec 2018 from Ford Motor company. It was used to drive visitors around the main campus in Dearborn, then once it was 15 years old, one of the higher ups used it to take his dogs and boat up north on the weekends. It had 133k when I got it. Its rusty , but I don't care im a dirtbag mountain biker. I have been living in a van since 2016. Its the mechanicals that matter more than looks on my budget.

Here's what I had to do to this beast so far....

Dec 2018 purchased 133k miles
2019- oil changes and fuel,
2020- oil changes, vacuum pump, pads rotors all 4 wheels, front wheel bearings/seals, u joints, rear axle seals, 2 interstate group 65

Now that I am in Tucson for the winter I got a fuel leak from the plastic connector above the front axle I need to fix. Im cutting out those junk plastic lines between the metal lines over the axle, and running SAE fuel injection hose.

My glow plugs aren't working. I'm 97.6pct sure its just the relay, I already bought it to install. Didn't matter till its been in the high 20s low 30s here at night. Using the block heater it starts fine. Thats how I know what the issue is. 168k on stock relay is normal. I picked up the one from Colorado with the o rings for the bowl.

I have the o rings but no leak from the bowl, yet. And a fresh fuel filter.

I need some tires too. Its stock suspension. I want the tallest tire I can, pizza cutter. Anyone think 235/85 16 would work stock? I like to air down and slow roll down Reddington type roads. Going with Duratracs, i get the hookup, so they get picked over AT3.

I want a skid plate over the oil pan. I drive some rocky roads where I can either set the pan onto a rock or one kick up. Any suggestions on skid plates?

I want a better driver seat! I'm 6'2 so driving an e350 already sucks for leg room but the seat is not comfortable either.

I'm gonna put the swivel under passenger seat.

My cruise and horn stopped working randomly, any ideas?

I get 17-21 mpg on the hwy at 65. I only have about 5-700lbs of stuff in the back of a stripped out 15 passenger. My bikes are all under 30lbs! I did tow a 21 foot camper to Tucson and I got 16. It weighs 3100 pounds. I love this van. Its loud and smelly and goes anywhere most guys will take their 4 runner pro. For 2800 bucks!

This summer I towed a Chevy Tracker 4 door behind me all summer flat tow. I would find my boondock spot and then go exploring in the Tracker with my dog. Well I kept getting jammed up in places my van would clear with ease. I was towing the Tracker up a crazy jeep road in Crested Butte and caught the bottom of the Tracker also. Thats when I realized I will just use my van to go exploring. Its got way more ground clearance than anything I can afford to flat tow. So that's why I want a skid plate and some taller tires. I have 245/75 now. Even 1 inch would help.

I'll get tapatalk and get some pics up too.

Thanks for any feedback.

turbodiesel

Congrats on the new ride!

Any service engine soon light? Failing glow plugs should throw a code. Additionally how long does it take to kick over when starting? Without glow plugs, even with engine block heater, it should be fairly long to build up the needed heat thorough compression if they are all completely out. (Maybe 15secs or more)

For cruise and the horn to go at the same time, there are a bunch of potential issues. I think the most common is the clockspring needing to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal