2001 Sequoia aka: Project Black Sheep

Hello all, I've been lurking on here and learning from you guys and gals for awhile. I've own a couple of Toyota trucks in the past one a 2007 Tundra Ltd Double Cab: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...526501689.4707.100000710265468&type=3&theater

Which I sold because it was to rich for my blood and I feared getting a scratch on it.

The Second is a 1971 FJ40.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/107438641@N02/10633664346/
My plan was to restore it and use it for camping and travelling. But It needs a bunch of work and I will most likely sell it, as once again it's to rich for me.. and what I want to do.

I've been trying to figure out the best vehicle for me and trust me I've been looking (10 years plus now) ranging from Wagoneer, Eurovans, e30 touring, club wagon, pathfinder, Safari and the list goes on. I'm 29 years old and I've owned over 50 vehicles, of random types. Trust me I'm not a rich guy, as the Tundra was the most expensive vehicle purchased and it was bought used like all of my vehicles that I've had.

Lately I've had this urge to go travelling via road and off road, I've been making due with some of my other rigs in the past. But now after modding my Brothers 4th gen Runner I would like to have a expo rig of my own.

I picked up an 01 Sequoia because:

1. I have two large dogs
2. Love the space inside as I still have to use it for work and people haulin
3. 4.7l V8.. I loved the power of my old Tundra
4. Able to tow.. As I have a car trailer that I use once and awhile
5. Toyota Quality
6. It was cheap!!! I will get to that in a moment
7. Love going against the grain!

I named it Black Sheep because:

1. It's black
2. Searching the net I've come to notice that 70 percent of people hate the first gen Sequoia because of many different things ie: It's too damn BIG! And 30 percent Like it... For reasons of there own.
3. Aftermarket support is pretty much none existent!

Back to the reason I got it for cheap.. It was smashed on the left front corner, so my first priority is to repair structural and cosmetic damage to the truck.

Things I'm looking to do right away (any help on these items would be appreciated):
1. Wheels and tires
3. Three inch lift
4. Build a one off winch bumper. As the original one is missing.
5. Storage solutions for inside
6. Roof top tent with annex and one that I can still access my rear hatch from in the annex.

Oh i guess I should fix the body first... lol:)

This would be close to the day I got her

Attachments

• kens pics iphone 061.jpg
    kens pics iphone 061.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 86
  • kens pics iphone 038.jpg
    kens pics iphone 038.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 81
  • kens pics iphone 022.jpg
    kens pics iphone 022.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 80

stclair

Adventurer
Sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a bumper. I need one too!

Some tear down work.

Over the weekend I was able to start the tear down and Collect a bunch of parts needed at the wrecker's. The main structural pieces needed was the inner left apron and rad support.

Donor Sequoia :
kens pics iphone 031.jpg
Gathered parts :
kens pics iphone 076.jpg

Above the Frame rail on the left side suffered to biggest hit.
kens pics iphone 062.jpg
kens pics iphone 071.jpg
kens pics iphone 060.jpg

Starting to remove the rad support and left inner apron :

kens pics iphone 100.jpg

All in all, I have still a lot to do.. Including getting my metal cut off this donor rig...
kens pics iphone 029.jpgkens pics iphone 089.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I've always wondered why Sequoia's didn't receive more aftermarket support than it did. They're great platforms, as they offer lots of cargo room and great capability even in stock trim. I wouldn't mind driving one myself. Good luck on the build.

I've always wondered why Sequoia's didn't receive more aftermarket support than it did. They're great platforms, as they offer lots of cargo room and great capability even in stock trim. I wouldn't mind driving one myself. Good luck on the build.

Thanks! Not sure why they don't offer more... I think the aftermarket still hasn't gathered that Toyota makes a Full Size SUV.. And I think the First gen Sequoia missed the window of cool aftermarket bits once the second gen came out.. Could also be the bad rap forums have given it, for being to large or a soccer mom's SUV of choice.

kens pics iphone 103.jpg

bkg

Explorer
I owned an 06 Sequoia. I liked it. Got decent mileage, but I always felt it has less power than my 06 DC Tundra. I suspect the weight and gearing. Really liked the air ride rear, thought. Great platform.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I like the Sequoia, and look forward to seeing yours progress.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Do not use cheap body parts

So as I was cutting off my damaged rad support, and I was shocked on how rusty it was! As I removed the right fender I realized that this vehicle was in a previous accident, because the right inner support under the fender was replaced. While cutting the spot welds out on the left side I compared both sides, you can see the difference in the pics below.

Cutting out old spot welds
kens pics iphone 073.jpg

Left Toyota original inner support
kens pics iphone 094.jpg

Right Replaced inner support (found some mig welder whiskers too!)
kens pics iphone 093.jpg
Luckily the support was an OEM part but not the spot welds and the rattle can under coat job.

This Part did not bother me as much as the rad support and fender, that were a low grade steel and suffered from corrosion.
you can see in this pick that the rad support welds are clearly not factory.

kens pics iphone 092.jpg

I also purchased a used fender from my junk yard runs (white one in the pic) It was clearly the original one for that truck and was marked Toyota. Holding both in each hand (left and right) you can clearly tell there is a weight difference! The Toyota one was built stronger fit better and did not have any rust issues unlike the right one. It turns out that the right fender and rad support was a Chinese knock off. Clearly not holding up the same as the Toyota OEM parts.

kens pics iphone 077.jpg

Lesson for all Buy OEM when it comes to body parts.. as you can see from the rad support in the pic below it's not worth your time and money for knock offs...

kens pics iphone 066.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!

I always wondered why they didn't get built up more often.

Subscribed for more!

Not sure why but I look forward to the challenge, thanks!

I owned an 06 Sequoia. I liked it. Got decent mileage, but I always felt it has less power than my 06 DC Tundra. I suspect the weight and gearing. Really liked the air ride rear, thought. Great platform.

Good to know about the mileage, I think It being fat has a lot to with lack of power :)
I like the Sequoia, and look forward to seeing yours progress.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I've grown to love it now, but I've never driven it, soooooo.... Lol

Fellow Big Tree owner wishing you success. They really are great vehicles.

Hello, The Sequoia so far seems like a great vehicle... any advise is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal