2005 Tacoma Communications Package

Stocky Taco

Tacoma Full Dash.jpg Tacoma Radio Rack.jpg
This is just the 1st step of a electronics package I’m installing in the Taco. So far I've installed the auxiliary fuse panels, stereo, in-dash CB, ham radio, plus a lot of wiring and infrastructure for items to come.

Taco Aux Fuse Panel-s.jpg
I installed three fuse panels under the hood over the left front tire. From left to right:
1. Communications – all the radios and associated electronics are / will be powered by this panel. Relays switch the power on and off with the ignition, or a future dash mounted switch.
2. Off Road Lighting – just need some lights now. I plan to have a relay and dash mounted switch on this panel too.
3. 24/7 Power – unswitched power for future aux plugs I’ll install in the back seat for charging electronics, fridge, etc.

Ultimately these fuse panels will be powered by an aux battery when I do the dual battery system, so I can run the radios, fridge, etc. all night(s) without jeopardizing the starter battery. Will probably have a solar charge controller in the system too.

Tacoma Stereo & CB Fab 1.jpg Tacoma Stereo & CB Fab 2.jpg
I installed a Kenwood KDC-BT958HD head unit, a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB and an ICOM ID-5100 dual band VHF/UHF Ham Radio using a Tech Deck mounting bracket. Spent a lot of time with the Dremel to modify the new stereo mounting hardware for the in-dash CB install. I removed about 50% of the utility tray under the stereo and removed the CB housing to make it fit & look decent.

Taco Radio Speakers-s.jpg
I also installed MFJ-281 speakers on either side of the center console for the CB & Ham radios.

Thanks to everyone I poached ideas from for this install. Hopefully some of you will find these pics helpful for your own project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl