2006 Ford full of rANGER

utherjorge

Observer
I don't have a good name for her yet, so this will have to do for now!

So, I was fortunate enough to find and buy some land in the Allegheny National Forest, about an hour from where I live. I'm very happy with it, but overall, with all the cars and rigs around my house, I don't have anything that I am thrilled with getting the inside dirty. Or, I don't have an easy way to carry building supplies aside from a utility trailer...and what fun would that be? So, as one does, I was looking for a while for anything that would be a decent pickup to do pickup stuff: go to the dump, get bulky stuff, carries supplies, and so on. Bonus points if it was a stickshift, because EVERYONE NEEDS TO LEARN TO DRIVE STICK, including my four daughters.

So, I found this guy for $900. It will never be the primary rig I have, but it needs to be able to do stuff. So, away we go.

drivers34.jpg

pass34.jpg

Last edited:

So, I was fortunate enough to find and buy some land in the Allegheny National Forest, about an hour from where I live. I'm very happy with it, but overall, with all the cars and rigs around my house, I don't have anything that I am thrilled with getting the inside dirty. Or, I don't have an easy way to carry building supplies aside from a utility trailer...and what fun would that be? So, as one does, I was looking for a while for anything that would be a decent pickup to do pickup stuff: go to the dump, get bulky stuff, carries supplies, and so on. Bonus points if it was a stickshift, because EVERYONE NEEDS TO LEARN TO DRIVE STICK, including my four daughters.

So, I found this guy for $900. It will never be the primary rig I have, but it needs to be able to do stuff. So, away we go.
387760660_10130961299065374_2336743101368858798_n.jpg

387738923_10130961289334874_6774488406189341142_n.jpg

387744434_10130961289175194_8165394112907822205_n.jpg
Just inherited a 2002 ford ranger interested in seeing what you do with it. I am super impressed with its performance in snow and ice. My dad and I bought near identical trucks in 2002, I sold mine and he kept it until handing it down to me.

387760660_10130961299065374_2336743101368858798_n.jpg

387738923_10130961289334874_6774488406189341142_n.jpg

387744434_10130961289175194_8165394112907822205_n.jpg
Any ranger experts who could chime in and advise on suspension lifts? Areas of weakness that need addressing.

highwest

We loved our 2000 Ranger with the 3.0. We bought it pretty cheap with a ton of miles and it loved to eat front end suspension bushings.

utherjorge

Observer
So, I got some cool new fun stuff today I'll take pics of in the daylight tomorrow (thanks, Facebook Marketplace!) but I was pretty sure that the rear springs looked weak before. Now, with 240lbs of tube sand and the new toys...she's squattin'. I spent some time looking for things after I got back, and it looks like I'll go HD springs and after that (once I see what they look like when I put them on) a shackle lift and front keys. As of now.

85_Ranger4x4

So, I got some cool new fun stuff today I'll take pics of in the daylight tomorrow (thanks, Facebook Marketplace!) but I was pretty sure that the rear springs looked weak before. Now, with 240lbs of tube sand and the new toys...she's squattin'. I spent some time looking for things after I got back, and it looks like I'll go HD springs and after that (once I see what they look like when I put them on) a shackle lift and front keys. As of now.

Springs out of an explorer are stout and bolt in. Usually gain a little ride height as well.

utherjorge

Observer
Springs out of an explorer are stout and bolt in. Usually gain a little ride height as well.
What year fits the 2006, do you know? It seemed that they stopped being compatible around 2002...but it may have simply been an old post that was mad about time? Sounds like HD springs handle 1750 lbs

Dougnuts

Unless I'm missing a visible clue, this truck would have coil springs up front.

Get some lift spindles off eBay and add a leaf to the rear.

Edit: Is it 4wd?

85_Ranger4x4

What year fits the 2006, do you know? It seemed that they stopped being compatible around 2002...but it may have simply been an old post that was mad about time? Sounds like HD springs handle 1750 lbs

91-01, I have the springs (and axle) out of a '96 in mine.

Unless I'm missing a visible clue, this truck would have coil springs up front.

Get some lift spindles off eBay and add a leaf to the rear.

Edit: Is it 4wd?

4wd is torsion bar. For a cheap work truck I would just crank the t-bars.

2wd is usually coil spring. Certain packages like "Edge" and "Trailhead" are torsion bar and are actually kinda easy to convert to 4wd at least front axle-wise.

utherjorge

Observer
Can’t go wrong for 900 bucks- with prices these days if it starts and drives that’s a major steal.
OK, well, it started, and ran. It did not drive.

So...the truck was posted on Facebook, and I was speaking to its owner. Seems that he and his wife were splitting, and he was selling it. This was on a Thursday or Friday. Then, his wife kicked him out with the help of the police, and told him he had to have all his stuff out by Tuesday afternoon or she was taking it all.

The story went that it needed u-joints because she did clutch drops in it to destroy it, and it did truly sound awful. However, it did not need u-joints.

It needed an entire axle. The thing was a glitter bomb when the back was opened up. I've never seen anything like it.

Nonetheless, the pick and pull less than 5 miles from me had a matching axle (same ratio) for $150. I paid the good man $900, called Triple Hey to help me with my cousin's truck, and that's how I got it to my house. I "knew a guy" with a bed for $500 because the stock one was held together with hopes and dreams....and that's where we have been until new goodies yesterday.

It has a valid inspection up next month, and I have some work to do before that fateful day comes around, but so far, it's fantastic.

85_Ranger4x4

You might not know, but what's the capacity on those Explorer springs?

I probably new 12 years ago when I put them in. Mine are used so I don't know if they would exactly meet the rating anyway.

They ride a little stiff unladen with my standard cab, with my fiberglass topper and tire carrier it rides perfect with just enough rake, with my slide in camper it also rides nice and sits level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy