2006 LR3 traction control engaging around corners

Robert T

Hi,

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with approx. 117k miles. Recently I've started having issues with my traction control engaging when going around corners at approx. 30+ mph. It usually happens on FWY on/off ramps that have a fairly tight turn. I can feel the front traction control and the traction control/DSC warning light illuminates. It doesn't happen if I turn off the DSC switch.

I had an alignment and changed the steering angle sensor due to some faults. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.

I replaced the lower controls arms a few months ago. When I pushed the half shaft in to get clearance to remove the ball joint the half shaft come completely out of the hub. When I put the half shaft back in I'm not sure if I aligned the groves in the exactly the same place....could this put something out of sync?

I replaced the brake light switch a few years ago, could it be time to change it again?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob

zelatore

Explorer
It's most likely not the traction control that you're feeling but the stability control.

And you wouldn't have caused any issues by putting the half shaft in a different spline on the hub so no worries there.

Most likely you need to do a cross axle calibration. If you have a GAP tool you can do it yourself, or a dealer could do it of course. I'm sure they'd find 12 other things that 'just have to be done' while there were in there though...

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Also try steering angle calibration with the GAP tool. Stopped mine doing that for a while. I had the exact symptoms you describe.

Robert T

It's most likely not the traction control that you're feeling but the stability control.

And you wouldn't have caused any issues by putting the half shaft in a different spline on the hub so no worries there.

Most likely you need to do a cross axle calibration. If you have a GAP tool you can do it yourself, or a dealer could do it of course. I'm sure they'd find 12 other things that 'just have to be done' while there were in there though...

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a GAP tool. How do I do the cross axle calibration? I don't see anything in the GAP v3 manual but might have missed it. Appreciate the help!

Robert T

Also try steering angle calibration with the GAP tool. Stopped mine doing that for a while. I had the exact symptoms you describe.

Thanks. The steering angle calibration was done but didn't help or clear the steering angel error codes. I had the steering angle sensor replaced and re-calibrated. That got rig of the faults but didn't resolve the problem. I appreciate the suggestion

zelatore

Explorer
I don't have my manual at hand as I'm at work for the week, so i forget what that actual set-up is called - I believe it's EAS calibration; when it's off it will throw cross axle errors so that's where I got the term I guess. Basically it's setting the ride heights for each corner in relationship to each other. They have instructions and a form to go through in the manual but if you contact them they'll send you a simple spreadsheet that's much easier to work with.

I have a copy of the spreadsheet somewhere on my other computer but again, I won't be home to access it for some time.

Robert T

I know what you are referring to now, I have the form that GAP provides. I did a ride height calibration last year but I'll do it again to see if it helps. Thanks again for the suggestion.

zelatore

Explorer
It might be worth dropping an email to GAP for the spreadsheet anyway as it makes it much easier to do the job. If you mention what your current wheel height settings are they'll be able to tell you if they are likely to be the cause.

I'm assuming the errors you were getting were cross axle errors but I don't think you ever said that specifically, just that you had errors and the stability control was going off too easily. I do trigger the stability control easily on my rig, but i run a tall tire, a lift, and a lot of weight so that's not surprising. I usually turn it off if I'm driving on anything resembling a curvy road and of course when I'm wheeling.

umbertob

Adventurer
My old 2006 Sport stated behaving similarly as the tires were getting worn. Are yours in good shape or will you need a new set soon? As Alex pointed out, also check tire pressure to make sure it is within specs and the same across each axle.

Robert T

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Hi Umberto, it's Robert from SCLR.

I checked the tire pressure and all were within a few lbs of recommended. I've corrected them to recommended specs. The tires are in good condition with plenty of tread/life remaining.

I calibrated the suspension with my GAP tool. The front was off by about 10mm and rear about 4mm. Calibrating the suspension didn't correct the problem but it does seem to have helped somewhat. It's much harder to engage the stability control making right turns now...you really have to crank it at 30+ mph. It's still relatively easy on left hand turns at speeds over 30mph. It seems the faster you are driving the less of a left hand turn angle is required before the stability control kicks in.

The LR dealer is the one who replaced and calibrated my steering angle sensor. They are baffled by the problem as well. I'm going back tomorrow afternoon for them to run a few more tests. They want me to take them on a test drive to demonstrate how it engages. At least they are doing their best to help troubleshoot the problem.

Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks again guys; I really appreciate it.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This happened to me a while back, and I solved it. But it's been over 10 years and I can't remember how! So....useless post, but now I'm subscribed! LOL

You might try looking up my user name on LRRepair forum, or some of the other LR3 specific forums. I probably shared the answer back then.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I had the same issue after a steering shaft replacement. They tried to blame my over sized tires. They redid the alignment and it corrected the problem 100%, but never admitted what was changed.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I had the same issue after a steering shaft replacement. They tried to blame my over sized tires. They redid the alignment and it corrected the problem 100%, but never admitted what was changed.

This is good to know. I never knew what exactly the cause was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven