2010 L322 on 18"s...

99Discovery

Adventurer
Can it be done? I've searched rangerover.net, etc. and get misleading answers. I know the offset is a tad different between the LR3, LR4 and RRS, but the older L322s can fit 18s up to (I believe) 2008 depending on the proper wheel nuts. The earlier L322s could even mount D3 18" rims. This is all for non-supercharged.

My conundrum is the 2010 model I'm considering. I've heard the calipers are different. Is this true?

My wife's had bad discs in her back and the D2 is a bit rough. We test drove an LR4, RRS, and L322 and she said the L322 had the softest ride so that we'd be able to explore more and longer without pain. But I can't do it on 19"s, and 20"s are impossible.

Somehow I have to get 18"s on this truck.

Anybody?

Thanks!

99Discovery

Adventurer
A quick part # search shows the same rotors on the 06-09 supercharged as the 2010 and up non-supercharged. How does this compare with the LR4's rotors? Could Scott Brady's spacer + LR3 trick work?

Jwestpro

Explorer
why not dig into the 18" Compmotive wheels the lr4 crowd puts on those. The offset and interior rim size are what allow it to fit without spacers when factory 18's will not fit without spacers. Being that lr4 and 2010 range rover are about the same time period, seems the brake rotor sizing may be similar too. I'd also ask a good tech and parts counter for some comparative information. I'm not even sure if lr4 will allow the factory 18 with spacers. The rim interior radius dimension is just as important.

Next thing I would do if I were you is find someone with an lr4 who has the compomotive wheels near you, and try theirs on yours. However, dimensional info on the rotor and calipers ought to tell you most of what is needed.

A newer range rover with 18" would be really sweet with a 265/65x18 or 275/65x18 tire. Where the lr3/4 have tight spots with anything larger than a 31.5" diameter (265/65x18) the Range Rover wheel wells have more room for articulation and turning so it could work out very well.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm talking with Barry at Compautomotive right now. He claims they will work "later 2009 5.0L V8 non-supercharged".

He's double checking because the rotors are the same size on '10 super/non-super, but the brake pads are different (caliper size?). In either case, if the compautomotives work, I will be ordering a set and hopefully I'll contribute in this forum something new: a late-model L322 running 18's.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, I don't think there is a bone-stock LR4 within 100 miles, let alone one equipped for serious off-roading (I've seen a few LR3s though (not sure if they are local on on their way to Great Basin National Park), and I think I'm the only Disco 2).

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The HSE does have the same rotors but smaller calipers than the SC. This may help your case, but I am not sure by how much.

If it comes down to it, you should be able to swap to earlier, smaller rotors and calipers without much ill effect. The brakes on the 06-09 HSE were absolutely fine (I doubt you would notice much performance difference).

Mack73

Adventurer
The HSE does have the same rotors but smaller calipers than the SC. This may help your case, but I am not sure by how much.

If it comes down to it, you should be able to swap to earlier, smaller rotors and calipers without much ill effect. The brakes on the 06-09 HSE were absolutely fine (I doubt you would notice much performance difference).

Ditto on the brake swap. I went down to v6 brakes on my LR3 (to fit 17's) and I can't tell a difference.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Thanks! I'm talking with Barry at Compautomotive right now. He claims they will work "later 2009 5.0L V8 non-supercharged".

He's double checking because the rotors are the same size on '10 super/non-super, but the brake pads are different (caliper size?). In either case, if the compautomotives work, I will be ordering a set and hopefully I'll contribute in this forum something new: a late-model L322 running 18's.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, I don't think there is a bone-stock LR4 within 100 miles, let alone one equipped for serious off-roading (I've seen a few LR3s though (not sure if they are local on on their way to Great Basin National Park), and I think I'm the only Disco 2).

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if this ever worked out and you were able to put 18's on a newer L322. Im currently looking at a 2011 but would definitely need to get it on 18's.

Nathansharkey80

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if this ever worked out and you were able to put 18's on a newer L322. Im currently looking at a 2011 but would definitely need to get it on 18's.

Is there any more information on this? I would love to fit 18”s on my 2012 Range Rover HSE non-supercharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99Discovery

Adventurer
I wish I could help you out. I can't find the emails, but if I recall correctly, they "believe" they would work, but nobody has done it? In the end, I decided to keep my truck and instead of paying more $$ for a sweet late model L322, I went with an '03 for not-so-much money.

The irony, is that compautomotives should work for the early L322, but I was checking out TerraFirma steel 18" LR3 wheels and they claim they won't fit the BMW-motored '03-05 rangies. What?!?! Now I know they use a different lug style, but just replace the later lug nuts. That's what everyone does when they get LR3 18" rims for the early rangies.

But nobody could give me a clear answer on why the Terra Firmas won't work, just that "they won't".

Jwestpro

Explorer
I wish I could help you out. I can't find the emails, but if I recall correctly, they "believe" they would work, but nobody has done it? In the end, I decided to keep my truck and instead of paying more $$ for a sweet late model L322, I went with an '03 for not-so-much money.

The irony, is that compautomotives should work for the early L322, but I was checking out TerraFirma steel 18" LR3 wheels and they claim they won't fit the BMW-motored '03-05 rangies. What?!?! Now I know they use a different lug style, but just replace the later lug nuts. That's what everyone does when they get LR3 18" rims for the early rangies.

But nobody could give me a clear answer on why the Terra Firmas won't work, just that "they won't".

it's possible the hub bore or something small is different on RR 03-05. i can tell you that the rr from 07 on wheels mount perfectly with an lr3 and therefor also an lr4. i had RRsport "stormer" 20's on my lr3 briefly and used a 285/50 tire which just barely fit against the upper control arm.

a person could use an lr3/4 19" to test then if that fits over the brakes, you have a good chance the uk compomotive will work but it could require come caliper grinding.... i ground mine at first to fit 17's with a spacer, then i just swapped the rotor size down which also requires that caliper carrier. pads are the same fyi but i went with EBC rotors and pads.

It only makes me want to try a 16" with spacers though ... LOL

Unbeatentrack

I know the Terrafirma's will fit on a 08 Supercharged (I 'borrowed' one that was fitted to an LR4 - see pic attached). No rubbing on lock-to-lock. So I'm pretty sure they're going to fit a 2012 HSE. Not sure why they wouldn't fit on an earlier 03-05 L322's

IMG_2194.JPG

Ditto on the brake swap. I went down to v6 brakes on my LR3 (to fit 17's) and I can't tell a difference.

Same here! Best upgraded, downgrade I have ever done! lol. On a serious note, the Discovery 3 and 4 should have come this way!

I know the Terrafirma's will fit on a 08 Supercharged (I 'borrowed' one that was fitted to an LR4 - see pic attached). No rubbing on lock-to-lock. So I'm pretty sure they're going to fit a 2012 HSE. Not sure why they wouldn't fit on an earlier 03-05 L322's

The only issue might be alloy is thicker! Steel I am thinking as you stated, Terrafirma should bolt right up. The alloy is where we get the fitment issue due to the much thicker wheel. As @Jwestpro stated, I would be willing to bet since his calipers are already shaved, he could get a steel 16" on his truck!.........

@Jwestpro we just called you out to make this happen......we are all waiting patiently! hahaha Damn, what a mod that would be if it works!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Same here! Best upgraded, downgrade I have ever done! lol. On a serious note, the Discovery 3 and 4 should have come this way!

The only issue might be alloy is thicker! Steel I am thinking as you stated, Terrafirma should bolt right up. The alloy is where we get the fitment issue due to the much thicker wheel. As @Jwestpro stated, I would be willing to bet since his calipers are already shaved, he could get a steel 16" on his truck!.........

@Jwestpro we just called you out to make this happen......we are all waiting patiently! hahaha Damn, what a mod that would be if it works!

I’d have already tried it if an easy 16 were available but the center bore is why we can’t just test a Disco II wheel. Bore too small i think or not big enough for assorted, I can’t recall.

If only there were an early eurospec v6 16 to try.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

View attachment 467742

Unbeatentrack, were you running any wheel spacers on these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven